Ernst Waldinger came from a Jewish family. He was a soldier in the First World War and was seriously wounded in Romania in 1917 (temporarily lost his ability to speak), after the war he studied German and art history at the University of Vienna (Dr. phil. 1921). He then worked for the publishing house "Allgemeine Tarifanzeiger" owned by Alexander Freud, a brother of Sigmund Freud . In 1926 he married a niece of Sigmund Freud, Beatrice (Rosa) Winternitz. They had a daughter named Ruth. In 1933 he was a member of the Association of Socialist Writers . From 1935 he was co-editor of the series "Das kleine Lesebuch".
After the Anschluss in 1938, he fled Vienna from the Nazis to New York. In 1947 he received a professorship for German language and literary history at Skidmore College in Saratoga Springs NY , which he held until 1965. As a poet and essayist , he processed the painful experiences of being uprooted through exile.
- The dome . Vienna 1934 (poems)
- The gem cutter. New verses . Vienna 1937
- The cool farmhouse parlors . Aurora Publishing, New York 1946
- Music for this time . Munich 1946
- Luck and patience . New York 1952
- Between the Hudson and the Danube . Vienna 1958
- Singing before the abyss . 1961
- I can talk to my human brother . Vienna 1965 (poems)
- Before Judgment Day - Selected Poems and Essays , Karl-Markus Gauß (Ed. And Afterword), with Theodor Waldinger: Mein Bruder Ernst Waldinger , Müller Salzburg 1990, ISBN 3-7013-0799-7 .
- 1934 Julius Reich Prize
- 1958 Theodor Körner Prize
- 1960 Literature Prize of the City of Vienna
- 1966 Gold Medal of Honor of the Federal Capital Vienna
- Hans J. Schütz: I was once a German poet - forgotten and misunderstood authors of the 20th century , Beck Munich 1988, ISBN 3-406-33308-7 .
- Theodor Waldinger, Between Ottakring and Chicago , Salzburg 1993
- Konstantin Kaiser: Waldinger, Ernst. In: Andreas B. Kilcher (Ed.): Metzler Lexicon of German-Jewish Literature. Jewish authors in the German language from the Enlightenment to the present. 2nd, updated and expanded edition. Metzler, Stuttgart / Weimar 2012, ISBN 978-3-476-02457-2 , p. 522f.
- Ernst Waldinger in the literary archive of the Austrian National Library
- Literature by and about Ernst Waldinger in the catalog of the German National Library
- Entry in the Herbert Exenberger archive of the Theodor Kramer Society
- Literaturhaus Wien An exhibition on Ernst Waldinger, curator: Heinz Lunzer, Between Hudson and Danube , bio / bibliography, portraits, typescripts, Vienna 2006.
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Austrian poet and essayist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||October 16, 1896|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Vienna-Neulerchenfeld|
|DATE OF DEATH||1st February 1970|
|Place of death||new York|