Live and act
Egon Boshof came from a family of teachers. At the end of the Second World War , he moved to the Rhine as part of the evacuation. Boshof studied from 1957 to 1962 in Cologne and for one semester in Freiburg the teaching subjects history, German and philosophy. During his studies he received a scholarship from the Cusanuswerk Episcopal Study Fund . From 1962 to 1966 he worked in higher education. In 1966 he returned to Cologne University. He received his doctorate in 1967 in Cologne with a thesis supervised by Theodor Schieffer on the life and work of Archbishop Agobard of Lyon . In 1971 he completed his habilitation with a paper on The Archbishopric Trier and its position on royalty and papacy in the late 10th century. The pontificate of Theodoric . Boshof was then scientific advisor and professor in Cologne until 1979. The activity was interrupted by a substitute professorship at the Free University of Berlin . In 1978 he was offered the chair for medieval history at the newly founded University of Passau .
Boshof taught at the University of Passau from 1979 until his retirement in 2002. His successor was Franz-Reiner Erkens . In Passau, Boshof was responsible for setting up the chair and setting up the subject of medieval history. He was dean of the Faculty of Cultural Studies and later of the newly created Faculty of Philosophy. From 1985 to 1988 he was Vice President of the University of Passau. Franz-Reiner Erkens and Werner Hechberger are among his most important students .
Boshof's main research interests are the Carolingian and Salian periods, the history of kingship ( constitutional and intellectual history), the European history of the 12th century, the history of the bishops of Passau and the city in the Middle Ages, and the papal diplomacy of the Middle Ages ( Germania Pontificia - ecclesiastical province Trier). In 1979, Boshof published a brief account of Heinrich IV. Boshof held a conference on Rudolf von Habsburg in Passau in November 1991 , and published their lectures and two other articles with Erkens in 1993. Boshof's most important works include his standard work on the history of the Salians , published for the first time in 1987 and published several times since , and his biography on Ludwig the Pious and his history of the 12th century , published in 1996 . For decades, Boshof collected all source reports and documents about the bishops of Passau. Four volumes (1992, 1999, 2007, 2013) were published with regesta that cover the period from the middle of the 8th century to the beginning of the 14th century. He also wrote the section on medieval history in a classic introductory work on the study of history. In 1999 he published the first scientific account of the history of the city of Passau . For the series Encyclopedia of German History , he wrote the volume Kings and Kings in the 10th and 11th centuries , the third edition of which was published in 2010.
From 1994 to 2008, Boshof was head of the Institute for East Bavarian Homeland Research . He is or has been editor of the following historical specialist publications: Archive for Cultural History (from 1980 to 2002), Passau Historical Researches and Passau Yearbook (formerly East Bavarian border brands ). In 1994 he was accepted into the commission for the publication of the German inscriptions of the Middle Ages and the early modern period. In 1995 he was accepted into the Commission for Bavarian State History . In 2005 Boshof received the culture medal of the state of Upper Austria . In 2009 he received the Federal Cross of Merit on Ribbon of the Federal Republic of Germany and the culture award of the district of Passau for his scientific life's work. Boshof is a member of the Order of the Knights of the Holy Sepulcher in Jerusalem and the Rotary Club .
- Archbishop Agobard of Lyon. Life and work (= Cologne historical treatises. Vol. 17). Böhlau, Cologne et al. 1969, ISBN 3-412-02369-8 (At the same time: Cologne, Univ., Diss., 1969).
- with Kurt Düwell and Hans Kloft : Basics of the study of history. An introduction. Böhlau, Cologne et al. 1973, ISBN 3-412-08183-3 .
- Heinrich IV. Ruler at a turning point (= personality and history. Vol. 108/109). Muster-Schmidt, Göttingen et al. 1979, ISBN 3-7881-0108-3 (2nd revised edition, ibid 1990).
- The Regests of the Bishops of Passau (= Regests of Bavarian History. Vol. 1–3). Published by the Commission for Bavarian State History. Beck, Munich;
- Kingship and rule in the 10th and 11th centuries (= Encyclopedia of German History. Vol. 27). Oldenbourg, Munich 1993, ISBN 3-486-55726-2 (2nd edition. Ibid 1997; 3rd updated edition with an additional supplement. Ibid 2010, ISBN 978-3-486-59237-5 ).
- Ludwig the Pious (= figures of the Middle Ages and the Renaissance. ). Primus Verlag, Darmstadt 1996, ISBN 3-89678-020-4 .
- What is history In: World and Cultural History. Epochs, facts, backgrounds in 20 volumes. With the best from TIME. = The world and cultural history of ZEIT. Part: 1: Beginnings of Humanity and Ancient Egypt. Prehistory and early history. Egypt (3000–330 BC) , Zeitverlag Bucerius et al., Hamburg 2006, ISBN 3-411-17591-5 , pp. 14–35.
- Europe in the 12th century. On the way to the modern age. Kohlhammer, Stuttgart 2007, ISBN 978-3-17-014548-1 . ( Review )
- The Salier (= Kohlhammer-Urban pocket books. 387). 5th updated edition. Kohlhammer, Stuttgart 2008, ISBN 978-3-17-020183-5 .
- Regesta pontificum Romanorum. Vol. 10: Germania pontificia sive repertorium privilegiorum et litterarum a Romanis pontificibus ante annum MCLXXXXVIII Germaniae ecclesiis monasteriis civitatibus singulisque personis concessorum, Provincia Treverensis. Pars 1: Archidioecesis Treverensis. Vandenhoeck & Ruprecht, Göttingen 1992, ISBN 3-525-36032-0 .
- History of the city of Passau. Pustet, Regensburg 1999, ISBN 3-7917-1656-5 .
- Franz-Reiner Erkens (Ed.): Kingship, Church and Mission in the Southeast of the Empire. Selected essays by Egon Boshof. Ceremony for the 75th birthday (= publications by the Institute for Cultural Research in Eastern Bavaria and the neighboring regions of the University of Passau. Vol. 64). Klinger, Passau 2012, ISBN 978-3-86328-112-0 .
- Franz-Reiner Erkens and Hartmut Wolff (eds.): From sacerdotium and regnum. Spiritual and secular violence in the early and high Middle Ages. Festschrift for Egon Boshof on his 65th birthday. Böhlau, Cologne 2002, ISBN 3-412-16401-1 .
- Heribert Müller : Laudation for Egon Boshof on his 75th birthday. In: Passauer Jahrbuch 54 (2012), pp. 11-20.
- Literature by and about Egon Boshof in the catalog of the German National Library
- Publications by Egon Boshof in the Opac der Regesta Imperii
- Egon Boshof: Heinrich IV. Ruler at a turning point. Göttingen 1979.
- See the review by Stephanie Haarländer in: Hessisches Jahrbuch für Landesgeschichte. 53 (2003), pp. 331-332.
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German historian|
|DATE OF BIRTH||January 13, 1937|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Stolberg|