|Logo of the Cusanuswerk|
|Overall responsibility as chairman of the Cusanuswerk e. V.|
|Clemens Blattert SJ|
|Board of Directors of the Scholarship Holders|
|Sebastian Faller, Marius Kulassek, Sandra Perino|
|Chairman of the Board of Directors of the Foundation|
|Scholarship holders:||approx. 2000 (as of 2018)|
|Website of the scholarship holders
and scholarship holders:
The Cusanuswerk was founded in 1956 as a registered association by the German Bishops' Conference and is the organization for the promotion of talented students of the Catholic Church in Germany. With state, church and private donations, the Cusanuswerk has already supported around 10,000 outstandingly talented Catholic students and doctoral candidates - financially and ideally. Patron saint is the polymath Nikolaus von Kues (1401 - 1464).
The Cusanuswerk has been financially supported by the Cusanuswerk Foundation for the Promotion of Talented Students since 2002. The Cusanuswerk has been headed by Georg Braungart since October 2011 . Auxiliary Bishop Christoph Hegge , Münster, has been the representative of the German Bishops' Conference for the Cusanuswerk since 2013.
Application and funding
The Cusanuswerk awards state funding to exceptionally talented Catholic students and doctoral candidates from all disciplines.
As a rule, applicants are recommended by their school, a university lecturer or former scholarship holders for inclusion in the grant. Self-application is possible on an equal footing. The selection takes place in a multi-stage selection process. Three aspects are taken into account in the selection process - professional performance, volunteer work and active membership in the Catholic Church. Admission to the Cusanuswerk is possible at the beginning of the first semester at the university, technical college, art academy or music college. Applicants for study grants must have five semesters of standard study time or, alternatively, an entire master’s course ahead of them at the time of application. Alternatively, the promotion of a doctorate is also possible regardless of previous membership in the Cusanuswerk.
The financial support is based on the guidelines set by the Federal Ministry of Education and Research . In the study grant, the financial support consists of the "lump sum for study costs" and a monthly grant. Similar to BAföG (Federal Training Assistance Act ), the calculation of the scholarship is based on the income and assets of the scholarship holder, the parents and, if applicable, the spouse. In the case of doctoral funding, on the other hand, the scholarship holders are funded regardless of their parents' income. In addition, family allowances and childcare allowances can be applied for. For candidates may in studies abroad expatriation allowances granted and travel expenses and tuition fees to be replaced.
The funding includes not only financial support, but also regular educational events, a spiritual program and an annual conference.
During their studies, the scholarship holders form their own groups in the university locations and have liaison lecturers there as contact persons. Particular emphasis is placed on social engagement and on gaining international experience. Twice a year the speakers of the university groups meet at the Cusanus Conference.
As part of the artist promotion, the Cusanuswerk organizes an annual selection exhibition with works by the applicants. Another special feature of the artist sponsorship is the awarding of the Georg Meistermann scholarship to graduates.
The Cusanuswerk also offers a career advancement program for scholarship holders from all thirteen gifted student organizations. As part of the “Securing Talents - Shaping the Future” program, talented young women act as mentees and establish relationships with executives who advise and support the professional development of the junior staff over a period of 18 months. In the seminars accompanying the program, the special requirements for management tasks and the associated professional and private challenges are trained and reflected upon.
After receiving funding, former scholarship holders can participate as "Altcusaner" in various program items such as the student council meetings of the Cusanuswerk; they are represented in the elected Altcusanerrat and form a large network.
In March 2012, the Cusanushaus in Bonn-Mehlem was opened on the initiative of the Spiritual Rector Siegfried Kleymann. In this spiritual study house, "Ora et labora" weeks are regularly offered: Scholarship holders can withdraw there for an undisturbed study time. The structured schedule, the joint study in a work room and the lack of external distractions can promote concentrated work on the respective study project. The spiritual setting (morning prayer, evening service) helps to recognize the importance of work as a current life task and at the same time enables a distance from work. In addition, the house is available to all scholarship holders for a longer period of study, e.g. for a period of one to four weeks. This gives a larger number of students and doctoral candidates the opportunity to "study and pray".
Well-known former Cusanuss scholars (so-called Altcusaner)
- Theodor Berchem , university professor, Romance studies
- Albert Biesinger , university professor, theologian (religious educator)
- Adolf M. Birke , university professor, historian
- Egon Boshof , university professor, historian
- Bernhard Bueb , author, educator, theologian
- Brun-Otto Bryde , former judge at the Federal Constitutional Court
- Franz Daschner , university professor, physician
- Christoph Degenhart , university professor, legal scholar
- Markus A. Denzel , university professor, economic historian
- Rudolf Dolzer , university professor, lawyer
- Mechthild Dreyer , university professor, philosopher
- Michael F. Feldkamp , historian
- Herbert Frohnhofen , university professor, theologian
- Hansjürgen Garstka , university professor, legal scholar
- Dieter Grimm , university professor, legal scholar, former judge at the Federal Constitutional Court
- Josef Gruber , university professor, economics
- Winfried Hassemer , university professor, legal scholar, former judge at the Federal Constitutional Court
- Marianne Heimbach-Steins , university professor
- Brigitta Helbig-Mischewski , university professor, polonist and writer
- Florian Herrmann , lawyer, member of the Bavarian State Parliament
- Wolfgang A. Herrmann , university professor, former president of the Technical University of Munich, university reformer
- Rudolf Hickel , university professor, economics, former director of the Institute for Labor and Economics
- Bernhard Irrgang , university professor, technology philosopher and ethicist
- Willi Jäger , university professor, mathematician
- Alexandra Kertz-Welzel , university teacher, music pedagogue
- Paul Kirchhof , university professor, legal scholar, former judge at the Federal Constitutional Court
- Wilhelm Kierdorf , university professor, classical philologist
- Christoph Klein , pediatrician and university professor
- Winfried Kohnen . University professor, mathematician
- Charlotte Kreuter-Kirchhof , university professor, member of the Vatican Economic Council
- Oskar Lafontaine , former federal chairman of the SPD, former Saarland Prime Minister, member of the German Bundestag (DIE LINKE parliamentary group.)
- Norbert Lammert , former member of the German Bundestag, President of the Bundestag from 2005 to 2017
- Johannes Laudage , university professor, historian
- Johannes Masing , university professor, legal scholar, judge at the Federal Constitutional Court
- Otwin Massing , university professor, political scientist and sociologist
- Michael Matheus , university professor
- Thomas Matussek , former German Permanent Representative to the United Nations
- Pauline M'Barek , artist
- Martin Ney , Deputy German Ambassador to the United Nations
- Hermann Pünder , university professor, legal scholar
- Heinz Riesenhuber , former Federal Minister for Research and Technology
- Johannes Ring , dermatologist and university professor
- Lothar Schäfer , university professor, philosopher,
- Rupert Maria Scheule , university professor, moral theologian
- Anton Schindling , university professor, historian,
- Ludwig Schmugge , university professor, historian
- Klaus Scholtissek , university professor, theologian
- Ferdi Schüth , university professor, inorganic chemist
- Meinolf Schumacher , university professor, Germanist
- Hans Tietmeyer , President i. R. of the Deutsche Bundesbank
- Markus Tomberg , university professor, theologian (religious educator)
- Sarah Spitzer , university professor
- Harald Walach , university professor, psychologist, science historian
- Berthold Wald , university professor, philosopher,
- Gregor Weber , university professor, ancient historian
- Siegfried Weichlein , university professor, historian
- Thomas FA Whitfield , inventor and entrepreneur
- Christiane Woopen , medical ethicist , Chair of the European Ethics Council (EGE)
- Burkard Zapff , university professor, theologian
- Markus Zimmermann , sculptor
- Franz-Christoph Zeitler , university professor, lawyer, Vice President of the Deutsche Bundesbank
- Hermann Breulmann , Wolfgang Frühwald , Annette Schavan (eds.): Talent as a challenge . Paderborn, Munich, Vienna Zurich 1991.
- Unifying diversity. 40 years of Cusanuswerk . Editor: Claudia Lücking-Michel, Cologne 1996
- Cusanuswerk (Ed.): 50 years of the Cusanuswerk. Episcopal scholarship. Believe. Knowledge. Design 1956–2006 , Bonn 2006.
- Association. Retrieved June 10, 2020 .
- Annual Report 2018, p. 6.  (PDF)
- Further information. Retrieved June 10, 2020 .
- Cusanuswerk.de: Episcopal scholarship
- Cusanuswerk selection process: http://www.cusanuswerk.de/de/bewerbung/ueberblick/
- Funding for doctoral candidates. Retrieved June 10, 2020 .
- Federal Ministry for Education and Research for Talented Students: http://www.bmbf.de/de/294.php
- Funding in the Cusanuswerk: http://www.cusanuswerk.de/foerderung/stipendien/
- Program and events of the Cusanuswerk: http://www.cusanuswerk.de/programm/ueberblick/
- Careerfor women. Retrieved June 10, 2020 .
- Pages of the Altcusaner: http://www.cusanuswerk.de/de/ehemalige/ueberblick/
- Cusanushaus Mehlem was opened. Cusanuswerk, March 30, 2012, accessed on August 18, 2020 .
- Home. Retrieved June 10, 2020 .
- Catholic and gifted - this is where the students of the Cusanuswerk learn. Retrieved June 10, 2020 .