Michael F. Feldkamp
Feldkamp attended the Carolinum grammar school in Osnabrück until his Abitur in 1982 . After completing basic military service in Delmenhorst , he studied history , Catholic theology , pedagogy and philosophy at the Rheinische Friedrich-Wilhelms-Universität Bonn since 1983 with Hans Pohl , Klaus Hildebrand , Rudolf Schieffer , Gabriel Adriányi and Hubert Müller, among others . In 1985/1986 he studied church history for an academic year at the Pontifical Gregorian University in Rome with a focus on document theory and historical auxiliary sciences with Paulius Rabikauskas and Erwin Gatz .
In 1990 he passed the first state examination for teaching at the state examination office in Cologne (Bonn branch) . In 1986 and from 1990 to 1991 Feldkamp was a fellow at the German Historical Institute in Rome . After a subsequent funding of his research on the history of the Apostolic Nunciature in Cologne by the Episcopal Scholarship Foundation Cusanuswerk he was in 1992 in Bonn at Raymund Kottje to Dr. phil. PhD.
In 1993 Feldkamp became a research associate in the archive of the German Bundestag . In addition, he worked as a lecturer at the seminar for church history at the Catholic Theological Faculty of the University of Bonn in 1995/1996 . In 1996/97 he was a research assistant at the Institute for Contemporary History ; he was involved in the edition of the files on the foreign policy of the Federal Republic of Germany in the Foreign Office in Bonn, which the political scientist Hans-Peter Schwarz published at the time .
Feldkamp has been the editor and editor of the data handbook on the history of the German Bundestag since 2000 . As a substitute, he worked several times as a ghostwriter and speechwriter as well as in 2012/13 for the minutes of the Bundestag and in 2017 as a personal advisor to the Vice President of the German Bundestag Johannes Singhammer .
Between 1993 and 2009 he edited five of the 14 edition volumes The Parliamentary Council 1948–1949. Files and minutes , including the volume documenting the Parliamentary Council's relations with the military governors of the Western Allied occupying powers, as well as the minutes of the Finance Committee and the Main Committee. His book “The Parliamentary Council. History of the creation of the Basic Law ”appeared in 2008 and 2019 in an illustrated and updated new edition and in 2020 in the“ series of publications ”of the Federal Agency for Civic Education .
Feldkamp published on topics such as the Cologne nunciature and the papal diplomacy as well as articles on the relationship of the Catholic Church to National Socialism . His work entitled Pius XII. and Germany from the year 2000 pursued the goal of bringing the complex state of research closer to a larger circle of readers and thus differentiating itself from the usual accusations or apologetic writings on this topic. It was also a scientifically sound answer to John Cornwell's Book of Pius XII. - The Pope who was silent . Feldkamp corrected Cornwell's views on the genesis of the Serbian Concordat of 1914 and pointed to blatant translation errors in Italian-language documents in the English and German editions. With his book Goldhagen's unwilling church , Feldkamp countered Daniel Goldhagen ; this had, according to Feldkamp's view, on the basis of prejudices, forgeries and apparently deliberately wrong translations Pope Pius XII. wrongly portrayed as anti-Semites and Nazi friend.
In 2005, in his study on the accession of the later Chancellor Kurt Georg Kiesinger to the NSDAP , Feldkamp confirmed the thesis published and controversially discussed by Ernst-Wolfgang Böckenförde in 1960/1961 in the magazine Hochland about the susceptibility of parts of the Catholic academic youth to National Socialist ideas of the Weimar Republic .
Since 2000 Feldkamp has dealt with the beginnings of the German Bundestag. For this purpose, he presented smaller biographical studies on Erich Köhler , Hermann Ehlers , Karl Mommer and Paul Löbe as well as on the relationship between Konrad Adenauer and Kurt Schumacher . As a co-author, he dealt with the history of the police in the German Bundestag and the history of ushers in the Bundestag.
In 2016, Feldkamp's study entitled From the Jerusalem Pilgrim to the Knight of the Tomb was published . In this, he refuted - by continuing the research results of Valmar Cramer (1952), Kaspar Elm (1964) and Mordechay Lewy (2004/14) - the widespread legends about the origin of the Papal Knightly Order of the Holy Sepulcher in Jerusalem and the so-called " Jerusalem Cross " .
On February 12, 2020, Feldkamp presented his research results on the emergence of the titular bishop to a wider public in the Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung , according to which the titular bishoprics did not arise as a result of the Islamic wars of conquest of the 7th century, but only on the basis of the resolutions of the Council of Vienne 1311 / 12.
Memberships and other offices (selection)
- 1983: Cartel Association of Catholic German Student Associations
- 1993: Christian Democratic Union of Germany : Chairman of the Bonn-Inner City Association (1998-2001)
- 2000: German Association for Parliamentary Issues (DVParl), head of the office (2011–2012)
- 2009: German Association of the Holy Land
- 2009: Order of Knights of the Holy Sepulcher in Jerusalem : Head Commander in Berlin (2011-2018) and Commissioner of the German Lieutenancy for Archiving and Order History (since 2015)
- 2015: Real Academia Sancti Ambrosii Martyris (honorary member, Accademico d'onore )
- 2017: Order of St. George (Habsburg-Lothringen)
- 2019: Founding member and participant of the Königsteiner Kreis
Feldkamp has published over 40 books, over 200 specialist articles and essays as well as several hundred newspaper and lexicon articles. His contributions have appeared in: Roman quarterly for Christian antiquity and church history , Archivum Historiae Pontificiae , quarterly for social and economic history , Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung , Lexicon of German History 1945–1990 , Die Tagespost , magazine for parliamentary questions and sources and research from Italian Archives and Libraries .
Feldkamp is editor of the series Propylaea of the Christian Occident , which he initiated with Patrimonium-Verlag (Aachen) in 2016 , in which four volumes have so far appeared. He also wrote numerous specialist articles on the history of the Osnabrück region and the history of the church in northern Germany.
- Studies and texts on the history of the Cologne nunciature . 4 volumes. Città del Vaticano 1993, 1995 and 2008, ISBN 88-85042-22-8 , ISBN 88-85042-21-X , ISBN 88-85042-27-9 , ISBN 978-88-85042-51-3 .
- The Parliamentary Council 1948–1949. Files and minutes. Volume 8, ISBN 3-7646-1946-5 , Volume 10, ISBN 3-486-56232-0 , Volume 11, ISBN 3-486-56279-7 , Volume 12, ISBN 3-486-56379-3 and 14, ISBN 978-3-486-56564-5 . Harald Boldt Verlag, Boppard, and Oldenbourg, Munich 1995-2009.
- La diplomazia pontificia. Da Silvestro I a Giovanni Paolo II. Milano 1998 (French translation: Paris 2001, ISBN 2-204-06452-1 ; Spanish translation: Madrid 2004, ISBN 84-7914-697-4 ).
- The Parliamentary Council 1948–1949. Göttingen 1998, ISBN 3-525-01366-3 . Revised new edition, Göttingen 2008 and 2019, ISBN 978-3-525-36755-1 .
- The creation of the Basic Law for the Federal Republic of Germany in 1949. Reclam-Verlag , Stuttgart 1999, ISBN 3-15-017020-6 .
- Pius XII. and Germany. Göttingen 2000, ISBN 3-525-34026-5 .
- Relations between the Federal Republic of Germany and the Holy See 1949–1966. From the Vatican files of the Foreign Office. A documentation. Cologne u. a. 2000, ISBN 3-412-03399-5 .
- Regent lists and family tables on the history of Europe. From the Middle Ages to the Present , Reclam-Verlag , Stuttgart 2002, ISBN 3-15-017034-6 .
- Goldhagen's unwilling church. Old and new forgeries about the Church and the Pope during the Nazi regime , Munich 2003, ISBN 3-7892-8127-1 .
- Kurt Georg Kiesinger and his Berlin student corporation Askania on the way to the “ Third Reich ”. In: Günter Buch , Philipp Gassert , Peter Thaddäus Lang (eds.): Kurt Georg Kiesinger 1904–1988. From Ebingen to the Chancellery . Edited on behalf of the Konrad-Adenauer-Stiftung e. V., Herder Verlag, Freiburg im Breisgau 2005, ISBN 3-451-23006-2 , pp. 149-199.
- Followers, cowards, anti-Semites? Catholic Church and National Socialism. Augsburg 2009, ISBN 978-3-86744-065-3 .
- The German Bundestag - 100 questions and answers. Baden-Baden: 1st edition. 2009, ISBN 978-3-8329-3526-9 ; 2nd Edition. 2013, ISBN 978-3-8329-5608-0 ( review by Das Parlament and review by Neue Osnabrücker Zeitung ).
- The President of the Bundestag . Office - function - person. 16th electoral term, ed. by Michael F. Feldkamp, Olzog Verlag , Munich 2007, ISBN 978-3-7892-8201-0 ; 17th electoral term Munich 2011, ISBN 978-3-7892-8213-3 ; 18th electoral term Reinbek Lau-Verlag 2014, ISBN 978-3-95768-143-0 ; 19th electoral term 2018 Reinbek ISBN 978-3-95768-195-9 .
- Secret and effective. Over 1000 years of diplomacy by the Popes. Augsburg 2010, ISBN 978-3-86744-150-6 .
- Data handbook on the history of the German Bundestag from 1990 to 2010. Nomos-Verlags-Gesellschaft , Baden-Baden 2011, ISBN 978-3-8329-6237-1
- From the Jerusalem pilgrim to the grave knight. History of the Order of Knights of the Holy Sepulcher (= Propylaea of the Christian Occident, Volume 1), Patrimonium-Verlag, Aachen 2016, 2nd edition 2017, ISBN 978-3-86417-055-3 .
- Pius XII. - A Pope for Germany, Europe and the world (= Propylaea of the Christian Occident, Volume 2), Patrimonium-Verlag, Aachen 2018, ISBN 978-3-86417-114-7 .
- Imperial Church and Political Catholicism. Essays on church history and church legal history of modern times (= Propylaea of the Christian Occident, Volume 3), Patrimonium-Verlag, Aachen 2019, ISBN 978-3-86417-120-8 .
- (as editor) Walter Brandmüller : Church history as church criticism. Heckling from Rome (= Propylaea of the Christian Occident, Volume 4), Patrimonium-Verlag Aachen 2020, ISBN 978-3-86417-131-4 .
- 1985: Carl-Sonnenschein-Preis of the Cartel Association of Catholic German Student Associations
- 2016: Commander's Cross of the Order of Knights of the Holy Sepulcher in Jerusalem
- 2017: Grand Cross of the Lion of Rwanda
- 2019: Knight of the Dynastic Order of the Wing of St. Michael (Ordem de São Miguel da Ala)
Literature and Sources
- Kürschner's German Scholars Calendar. Bio-bibliographical directory of contemporary German-speaking scientists. 19th edition, Saur Verlag, Munich 2003, pp. 750f.
- Nicolè Alexander: heavyweight with new accents. In: Blickpunkt Bundestag , Issue 1/2006, p. 55.
- Wolfram Weimer (Ed.): Who is Who of Catholics. Edition 2013/2014, Pattloch, Munich 2012, p. 151.
- Reimund Haas : The Cologne Nunciature (1584–1794). Comments on Michael F. Feldkamp's work "Studies and Texts on the History of the Cologne Nunciature 1 - 4". In: History in Cologne. Journal for Urban and Regional History, Volume 61, 2014, ISBN 978-3-412-22367-0 , pp. 274–283.
- Sebastian Prinz: With energy and passion. For Dr. Michael F. Feldkamp, the Catholic Church is the scientific object of investigation and home at the same time (= faces and stories, Volume 3), edited by Markus Nowak on behalf of the Archdiocese of Berlin , Leipzig 2020, ISBN 978-3-7462-5794-5 , p. 106 -110.
- Literature by and about Michael F. Feldkamp in the catalog of the German National Library
- Literature by and about Michael Feldkamp in the bibliographic database WorldCat
- Michael F. Feldkamp in clio-online - specialist portal for the historical sciences
- List of selected essays and lexicon articles in the OPAC of the Regesta Imperii
- Vandenhoeck & Ruprecht publishers: Michael F. Feldkamp. Retrieved August 22, 2019 .
- Michael F. Feldkamp | Duncker & Humblot. Retrieved August 22, 2019 .
- Lau Verlag - authors EG. Retrieved August 22, 2019 .
- Christof Haverkamp: Career in Berlin: Osnabrück historian Michael F. Feldkamp works in the archive of the Bundestag. Retrieved August 22, 2019 .
- Gabriele Pollert: "From Charlemagne to Angela Merkel, I do everything". The historian Dr. Michael F. Feldkamp in portrait, in: Our Frohnau March 2015, page 22. Retrieved on August 22, 2019 .
- Landesarchiv Baden Württemberg - Lecture: From the Jerusalem pilgrim to the grave knight (Dr. Michael F. Feldkamp). Retrieved August 23, 2019 .
- Sebastian Prinz: With energy and passion. For Dr. Michael F. Feldkamp, the Catholic Church is the scientific object of investigation and home at the same time (= faces and stories, Volume 3), edited by Markus Nowak on behalf of the Archdiocese of Berlin , Leipzig 2020, ISBN 978-3-7462-5794-5 , p. 107 .
- Nicole Alexander: Heavyweight with new accents. Blickpunkt Bundestag, February 8, 2006, accessed on August 23, 2019 .
- This Sven Felix Kellerhoff , in: The World on May 13, 2019 "No one knows more about the Parliamentary Council of the Michael F. Feldkamp, who has worked for many years in the Parliamentary Archives of the German Bundestag as early as 1998 he published the first study. the Parliamentary Council, which was reissued significantly expanded in 2008 and revised again on the 70th anniversary in the next edition. There is almost no question about this institution, unique in Germany's history, that Feldkamp does not answer. After all, he has several volumes of the scientific file edition edited personally by the Parliamentary Council. " 
- Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung. Retrieved April 6, 2020 .
- Driven by the demands of their voters. Report of the forum “Parliament and Government - Driven by the Financial Markets?”, To which the German Association for Parliamentary Issues had invited the Bundestag on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 ( full text online at in the Bundestag's text archive, week 47/2011, accessed on August 20, 2019). At the bottom: “The following were elected as deputy chairpersons: […]. Michael F. Feldkamp (Bundestag administration) is the managing director. "
- Michael F. Feldkamp - Patrimonium-Verlag. Retrieved August 24, 2019 .
- picture by Michael F. Feldkamp with medal (neck cross) (jpg); on the academiasanctiambrosii.it website , May 2015, accessed on August 20, 2019.
- Definition and organization - Königsteiner Kreis. In: Website of the Königsteiner Circle. Retrieved August 20, 2019 . Herein: Königsteiner Kreis - participants.
- Academic Monthly Papers, Volume 97, Issue 7 (July 1985). See also the list of award winners on the KV homepage: http://www.kartellverband.de/index.php?id=800&L=0
- King Yuhi VI Administrator: Visit to Rome - HM Yuhi VI. Retrieved June 12, 2019 (UK English).
|SURNAME||Feldkamp, Michael F.|
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Feldkamp, Michael Frank (full name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German historian|
|DATE OF BIRTH||April 23, 1962|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Kiel|