Gatz studied Catholic theology and history at the universities in Bonn , Munich and Aachen from 1953 to 1961 . On March 12, 1960, he was ordained a priest in Aachen. After graduating from Hubert Jedin in 1961 as Dr. theol. After receiving his doctorate , he initially worked for ten years as a pastor in Grefrath and Düren in the diocese of Aachen . In 1970 he completed his habilitation for Middle and Modern Church History in Bonn with Eduard Hegel . From 1971 to 1975 he was an academic councilor at the Institute for Church History at the University of Bonn; from 1973 to 1975 he was professor for Middle and New Church History at the University of Bonn.
In 1975 he moved to Rome as rector of the Campo Santo and managing director of the Roman Institute of the Görres Society . At the same time he was rector of the associated national church of Santa Maria della Pietà and of the Arch-Brotherhood of Our Lady of Sorrows . After 35 years of service, he handed over the office of rector at Campo Santo to the Freiburg diocesan priest Hans-Peter Fischer on December 8, 2010 . His successor as Managing Director of the Roman Institute of the Görres Society was Stefan Heid .
In 1980 Gatz became honorary professor at the Rheinische Friedrich-Wilhelms-Universität Bonn and since 1981 was a visiting professor at the Pontifical Gregorian University .
Since his retirement he lived in his hometown Aachen. He suffered during a trip to the Dutch Mergelland a cardiac arrest and died on May 8, 2011 at the Hospital of Maastricht. His grave is on the Campo Santo Teutonico in Rome.
Gatz was a knight in the Knightly Order of the Holy Sepulcher in Jerusalem .
Gatz became known for his numerous scientific, church-historical research work and works, especially on topics of Caritas and social work of the church in the 19th and 20th centuries. His "Bischofslexikon" (5 volumes) and his "Bistumslexikon" (2 volumes) are important reference works.
- Out of my life . Schnell & Steiner Verlag, Regensburg 2010, ISBN 978-3-7954-2373-5 (published on the occasion of his golden jubilee as a priest).
- Roma Christiana. Vatican, Rome, Roman environs; an art and cultural history guide to the Vatican and the city of Rome . 3. Edition. Schnell & Steiner, Regensburg 2008, ISBN 978-3-7954-2054-3 .
- The Catholic Church in Germany in the 20th century . Herder, Freiburg / B. 2009, ISBN 978-3-451-30129-2 .
- Rhenish people's mission in the 19th century. Shown using the example of the Archdiocese of Cologne; a contribution to the history of pastoral care in the age of the Catholic movement (Studies on Cologne Church History; Vol. 7). Schwann, Düsseldorf 1963 (also dissertation, University of Bonn 1961).
- Church and Nursing in the 19th Century. Catholic movement and charitable awakening in the Prussian provinces of Rhineland and Westphalia . Schöningh, Paderborn 1971, ISBN 3-506-73100-9 (plus habilitation, University of Bonn 1970).
- Atlas of the Church, Past and Present. Holy Roman Empire - German-speaking countries, Regensburg, Schnell and Steiner, ISBN 978-3-7954-2181-6 .
- History of church life in German-speaking countries since the end of the 18th century . Herder, Freiburg / B. 1991/2008 (8 volumes).
- The dioceses and their parishes . 1991, ISBN 3-451-22166-7 .
- Church and mother tongue. Pastoral care abroad, non-German speaking ethnic groups . 1992, ISBN 3-451-22882-3 .
- Catholics in the minority. Diaspora, ecumenical movement, mission . 1993, ISBN 3-451-23227-8 .
- The diocesan clergy . 1995, ISBN 3-451-23444-0 .
- Caritas and social services . 1997, ISBN 3-451-26217-7 .
- The church finances . 2000, ISBN 3-451-26217-7 .
- Monasteries and religious orders . 2006, ISBN 3-451-23669-9 .
- Lay people in the church . 2008, ISBN 978-3-451-23676-1 .
- Church and Catholicism since 1945 . Schöningh, Paderborn 1998/2010 (7 volumes).
- Central, Western and Northern Europe . 1998, ISBN 3-506-74460-7 .
- East-Central, East and Southeast Europe. 1999, ISBN 3-506-74461-3 .
- Italy and Spain . 2005, ISBN 3-506-74462-3 .
- The British Isles and North America . 2002, ISBN 3-506-74463-1 .
- The countries of Asia . 2003, ISBN 3-506-74464-X .
- Latin America and the Caribbean . 2009, ISBN 978-3-506-74466-1 .
- Middle East and North Africa . 2010, ISBN 978-3-506-74465-4 .
- The bishops of the German-speaking countries. A biographical lexicon . Duncker & Humblot, Berlin 1983/2002 (2 volumes).
- The bishops of the Holy Roman Empire. A biographical lexicon . Duncker & Humblot, Berlin 1990-2001 (3 volumes).
- 1198 to 1448 . 2001, ISBN 3-428-10303-3 ( content ).
- 1448 to 1648 . 1996, ISBN 3-428-08422-5 .
- 1648 to 1803 . 1990, ISBN 3-428-06763-0 .
- The dioceses of the Holy Roman Empire. From its beginnings to secularization . Herder, Freiburg / B. 2004, ISBN 3-451-28075-2 .
- The dioceses of the German-speaking countries. From secularization to the present. A historical lexicon . Herder, Freiburg / B. 2005, ISBN 3-451-28620-3 .
- Literature by and about Erwin Gatz in the catalog of the German National Library
- Biography with list of publications (as PDF ; 98 kB)
- New rector at Campo Santo Teutonico. on: zenit.org July 27, 2010; Change of rector at Campo Santo Teutonico. on: kath.net December 9, 2010.
- Erwin Gatz died. on: Vatican Radio . May 9, 2011.
- Erwin Gatz becomes Apostolic Protonotary.
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German theologian and church historian|
|DATE OF BIRTH||May 4, 1933|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Aachen|
|DATE OF DEATH||May 8, 2011|
|Place of death||Maastricht|