life and career
Hans Kloft attended the humanistic Görres-Gymnasium in Düsseldorf from 1950 to 1959 . After his military service he studied classical philology , history and political science at the universities of Cologne and Bonn . In 1968 he was awarded a Dr. phil. PhD .
He then worked from 1968 to 1974 as a research assistant at the Rheinisch-Westfälisch-Technische Hochschule Aachen , where he completed his habilitation in 1974 and then taught until 1977 as a private lecturer and senior academic adviser for ancient history . From 1977 until his retirement in 2004, Hans Kloft was a full professor of history with a focus on ancient history at the University of Bremen . From 1980 to 1993, he was department spokesman for the social sciences department and was a continuous member of the Academic Senate of the University of Bremen. In addition, Kloft was also active in various other functions in the university self-administration and was an expert in the evaluation process of the state of Lower Saxony for the subject of history.
His main areas of research are the economic and social history of antiquity, especially the Roman Empire, the ancient history of religion , the history of ideology and constitution, as well as problems of the history of reception.
Kloft is a member of the Historians' Association , the Mommsen Society (state representative for Bremen), the Braunschweigische Wissenschaftliche Gesellschaft , the AGE ( Ancient History for Europe ) Association, the Historical Society and the Bremen Association for Ancient Art and Numismatics. In addition, he is the chairman of the Friends of the Ancient World in Bremen and has been a board member and vice-president of Wittheit zu Bremen since 1995 .
- Liberalitas Principis. Origin and meaning. Studies on the ideology of principle (= Cologne historical treatises. 18). Böhlau, Cologne et al. 1970, ISBN 3-412-61570-6 (At the same time: Cologne, University, dissertation, 1968).
- as editor: The Adolf Erman estate (= publications of the social digitized version ). department and the special department. 38, ). University of Bremen, Bremen 1982, (
- with Egon Boshof and Kurt Düwell : Basics of the study of history. An introduction. Böhlau, Cologne et al. 1973, ISBN 3-412-86473-0 (numerous editions).
- with Maximilian Kerner: The Institutio Traiani. A pseudo-Plutarchic text in the Middle Ages. Text - commentary - contemporary background (= contributions to antiquity . 14). Teubner, Stuttgart 1992, ISBN 3-519-07463-X .
- The economy of the Greco-Roman world. An introduction (= Ancient Studies. ). Scientific Book Society, Darmstadt 1992, ISBN 3-534-05668-X .
- Mystery Cults of Antiquity. Gods - people - rituals (= Beck series. 2106). Beck, Munich 1999, ISBN 3-406-44606-X (numerous editions).
- with Karl Holl and Gerd Fesser : Caligula - Wilhelm II. and the Caesar madness. Reception of antiquity and Wilhelmine politics using the example of “Caligula” by Ludwig Quidde. Edition Temmen, Bremen 2001, ISBN 3-86108-782-0 .
- as editor: Bremen - Greece. Stations and aspects of a partnership (= contributions to the social history of Bremen. 22). Edition Temmen, Bremen 2002, ISBN 3-86108-671-9 .
- The economy of the Imperium Romanum (= cultural history of the ancient world . ). von Zabern, Mainz 2006, ISBN 3-8053-3547-4 .
- Prof. Dr. Hans Kloft
- Literature by and about Hans Kloft in the catalog of the German National Library
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German ancient historian|
|DATE OF BIRTH||April 10, 1939|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Dusseldorf|