After graduating from high school in Würzburg and completing military service, Tassilo Schmitt studied history and classical philology at the University of Würzburg , Heidelberg University and as a visiting student at the Jewish University of Heidelberg from 1981 to 1988 . In 1989 he received his doctorate in oriental studies and classical studies under Fritz Gschnitzer at the Ruprecht-Karls-Universität Heidelberg on the topic of Hannibal's triumphal march: historiographical and historical studies, especially on Polybius and Livius . From 1990 to 2003 he worked as a research assistant, assistant, senior assistant and representative of a professorship at Bielefeld University . It was there that he completed his habilitation on Synesios of Cyrene in 1998 . In 2003 Schmitt was appointed adjunct professor in Bielefeld. 2003–2004 he worked as a speaker and project manager at the Center for University Development in Gütersloh. Schmitt has been teaching ancient history at the University of Bremen since October 2004 . Since 2009 Schmitt has also been dean of the social sciences department at the University of Bremen.
From 2012 to 2019 Schmitt was chairman of the Philosophical Faculty Conference ; Michael Sommer was his successor . He is also a liaison professor of the Friedrich Naumann Foundation for Freedom at the University of Bremen.
- Paroikia and Oikumene. Investigations in the history of social and mentality on the first letter of Clement (= supplements to the journal for New Testament science and the knowledge of the older church. Vol. 110). de Gruyter, Berlin et al. 2001, ISBN 3-11-017257-7 .
- The conversion of Synesius of Cyrene. Politics and philosophy, court and province as an aristocrat's sphere of activity until he was elected Metropolitan of Ptolemaïs (= contributions to antiquity. Vol. 146). Saur, Munich et al. 2001, ISBN 3-598-77695-0 .
- Hannibal's triumphant advance. Historiographical and historical studies, especially on Polybius and Livius (= sources and research on the ancient world. Vol. 10). tuduv-Verlags-Gesellschaft, Munich 1991, ISBN 3-88073-430-5 (as a dissertation under the title: From the Rhône to Cannae. ).
- Present antiquity - antiquity present. Colloquium on the occasion of Rolf Rilinger's 60th birthday . Oldenbourg, Munich 2005, ISBN 3-486-56754-3 .
- with Michael Sommer (Ed.): From Hannibal to Hitler. "Rome and Carthage". 1943 and the German Classical Studies in National Socialism. Scientific Book Society, Darmstadt 2019, ISBN 978-3-534-27107-8 ; Review Simon Strauss in: Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung No. 169 Wednesday, July 24, 2019 Page N 3 Humanities .
- Literature by and about Tassilo Schmitt in the catalog of the German National Library
- Page from Schmitt at the University of Bremen
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German ancient historian and university professor|
|DATE OF BIRTH||April 10, 1961|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Wurzburg|