The festival (Karlsruhe)
The festival is one of the largest open-air events in Germany and has been held annually since 1985 in the Günther-Klotz-Anlage in Karlsruhe . Das Fest has been organized by the Karlsruhe Event GmbH team, which emerged from Das Fest GmbH, since the end of 2014 and takes place at the end of July. Das Fest gained national fame as a music festival , which is the main component of this event.
Program and organization
Every year there is an extensive sports, children's and family program around the music stages on which regional, national and international artists perform. Every year more than 200,000 people visit the festival on the three days, in 2006 there were 330,000 visitors. In 2009, a new record was set with around 400,000 visitors. Admission to the area with the sports, family area, tent and DJ stage is free, but you need access tickets for the hill area around the main stage since 2010 on Friday and Saturday and since 2011 also on Sunday for 5 €, from 2018 then 10 € per day.
Well-known artists such as Seeed , Deichkind , Juli , Silbermond , The Bosshoss , Faithless , PUR , Fury in the Slaughterhouse , Apocalyptica , Guano Apes , New Model Army , Culcha Candela , Fischer-Z , Bad Religion , Tito & Tarantula , Bananafishbones , BAP , Such a Surge , Gentleman , Chumbawamba , H-Blockx , Ska-P , Fünf Sterne deluxe , Simple Minds , Sido , Beatsteaks , Sunrise Avenue , Peter Fox , Die Fantastischen Vier and Denyo have already performed at the festival .
In the summer of 1984 Tihomir Lozanovski (Wolkenreise and current member of the band Trigon ) organized an open air in Karlsruhe. After this first open air, the group of organizers split and Das Fest was launched. The basis for this was provided by the special permits from the previous year. Originally the idea was to bring Karlsruhe bands closer to the Karlsruhe audience.
Bands from the MIK (Musikerinitiative Karlsruhe) such as Zeta K were also at the start.
Over the years Das Fest has developed from a small open air festival into a nationally known music festival that is visited by over 200,000 visitors annually. Along with this development, the concept of Das Fest has been expanded again and again.
In 1998 the festival café was held for the first time. Catering (mainly in beer garden format) and an evening music program on a small stage are offered here in the week before Das Fest . In 2000, the next sustainable expansion followed with its own DJ stage, which was very well received and soon established itself as an integral part of Das Fest .
Since the festival is financed exclusively from income from drinks, the festival area was completely fenced in for the first time in 2001 and visitors were checked for food and drinks when they entered. This had been heavily criticized in advance. The number of visitors showed that Das Fest's popularity did not suffer. In the course of the fencing, the area was enlarged to the west, so that the tent stage found its own place.
The fun park, which had previously taken place in front of the Europahalle, was now integrated into the festival area as a sports park and continuously expanded in the years that followed. In addition to open offers z. In the juggling and unicycling area, for example, “serious” competitions such as the German skateboard championship in the halfpipe or the national volley club tournament take place here every year.
In addition to the content-related additions, the organizers have focused on the security aspect of Das Fest in particular due to the steadily increasing number of visitors . The security concept has been improved every year in cooperation with the police and medical services, which is reflected both in a carefully changed layout of the area (no stands next to the main stage, route guidance) and in front of the entrances to Das Fest . In recent years, youth protection teams consisting of police officers, youth social workers and paramedics have been increasingly deployed here. They are designed to curb excessive alcohol consumption among young people before they even enter the festival site.
After admission to the festival area had to be temporarily stopped for the first time due to overcrowding when Seeed performed in 2006 , the city youth committee announced that it would no longer be able to hold the festival in the previous organizational form after 2007. Reasons for this were, in addition to the personal liability of the association chairman in the event of a loss, also the personnel and financial expenditure that is at the expense of the original tasks of the city youth committee.
Of the five concepts presented as alternatives, the municipal council of the city of Karlsruhe finally voted on September 25, 2007 to establish a so-called “separately managed company”. In addition, a city grant of up to 150,000 euros each was promised for an initial three years, which should ensure that Das Fest will be preserved until 2010. Nevertheless, the city youth committee announced on September 29, 2009 that it could not continue the festival . The reasons he gave the loss of 180,000 euros at the 2009 festival and the major security problem. In December 2009 the local council decided to continue the festival under the leadership of Das Fest GmbH .
The 2010 festival took place from July 23rd to 25th, 2010 and was the first entry fee. The area has been divided into a smaller sports and family area, which can still be accessed free of charge, and a larger music area. In the sports and family area there is the DJ stage, the tent stage, an information mile and various special offers. The music area surrounds the main stage around the so-called "Mount Klotz" and the cabaret. For the music sector, day tickets were sold for the first time at a price of five euros for the festival Friday and Saturday and, since 2011, for the previously free festival Sunday. Since 2018, tickets have cost ten euros per day.
- 1985: Capband feat. Phill Edwards, Haindling , Kolbe - Illenberger , Maanam , The Foundation
- 1986: Dorfcombo , Zeta K, Kevin Coyne , Pur
- 1987: Hob Goblin , Funk 11
- 1988: Grachmusikoff , Jan Akkermann's Heartware , M. Walking on the Water , Pink Cream 69 , Ralf Illenberger's Circle , Wolfgang Schmid's Superdrumming Band feat. Pete York
- 1989: Dr. Feelgood , Multicolored Shades , The Formula
- 1990: Chaka Khan , Kraan , Mitch Ryder , Oropax , Volker Kriegel Band , Züri West
- 1991: No Sports , The Rhythm and Blues Circus feat. Cozy Powell & Chris Farlowe
- 1992: Fury in the Slaughterhouse , Sally Barker
- 1993: Fischer-Z , Alvin Lee Band , Maceo Parker , Nits , The Brandos
- 1994: Carmel , The Jeremy Days , Los Lobotomys , Marla Glen
- 1995: Big Country , Illegal 2001 , Jazzkantine , Joan Armatrading , Six Was Nine
- 1996: Across the Border , Angélique Kidjo , Chico Science & Nação Zumbi , Cultured Pearls , Willy DeVille , Schwoißfuaß , The Seer
- 1997: Neneh Cherry , Dauner / Mangelsdorff , Ezio , Keb 'Mo' , Ocean Color Scene , Simple Minds , Suzanne Vega
- 1998: Apocalyptica , Faithless , Guano Apes , New Model Army , Nils Petter Molvær , NTS , The Bobby Byrd Show , Tito & Tarantula
- 1999: Daúde , Fun Lovin 'Criminals , George Clinton , Heather Nova , Jovanotti , Stoppok , Big Black Monsoon, No Sex until Marriage
- 2000: Bananafishbones , BAP , Candy Dulfer , Ani DiFranco , Chumbawamba , Mambo Kurt , Such a Surge , The Wailers
- 2001: Asian Dub Foundation , H-Blockx , Fünf Sterne deluxe , The Stranglers , The Levellers , Till Brönner , Incognito
- 2002: Across the Border , Bauchklang , Candy Dulfer , Hennes Bender , Jovanotti , Joy Denalane , NTS , Son Goku , Sportfreunde Stiller , Van Morrison , Vanessa Amorosi
- 2003: 17 Hippies , Bülent Ceylan , Frau Doktor , Füenf , Itchy Poopzkid , Jimmy Cliff , Königwerq , Moloko , Morcheeba , Seeed , Ska-P , The Explosion
- 2004: 2-room apartment , Die Happy , Faithless , Gentleman , Jethro Tull , Till Brönner , We are heroes
- 2005: Amparanoia , Edoardo Bennato , Ercandize & DJ Katch , Jackie Cola , Juli , Lenny Kaye , Lunik , Moneybrother , Pat Cash , Rough Lingo, SaltaCello feat. Peter Lehel , Silbermond , The Robocop Kraus , Within Temptation
- 2006: Creature, AKa Frontage , Basta , Christoph Sonntag , Culcha Candela , Die Schrillmänner , Kate Mosh , Kettcar , Kosheen , La Vela Puerca , Main Concept , New Model Army , Seachange , Seeed , Skin , Damnasty
- 2007: Abuela Coca , Beatsteaks , Die Fantastischen Vier , photos , Jess Jochimsen , Lampshade , Nico Suave & DJ Sparc & Denyo, Ohrbooten , Pink Cream 69 , Pyranja & Sacha Korn , Schwarze Grütze , Sugarplum Fairy , Sunrise Avenue , Thomas Siffling Trio , Wallis Bird
- 2008: AKa Frontage , Fettes Brot , Irie Révoltés , KT Tunstall , gunslinger , Roisin , Sportfreunde Stiller , Willy DeVille , The Beautiful Girls , The Orson , clays , Louis Logic & DJ JJ Brown , Neaera , LéOparleur , Jonah Matranga
- 2009: Äl Jawala , Blue King Brown , Perry O'Parson , Callejon , Culcha Candela , Farin Urlaub Racing Team , Irie Révoltés , Peter Fox , Pop Shock, Rainer vonviel , Roy Paci , Schandmaul , Snowgoons , Tina Dico , Zion I , This Will Destroy You , Damnasty
- 2010: Mareefield , Sonic Avalanche , Miss Platnum , Jan Delay , Centermay , Stanfour , Bela B , Editors , Monsters of Liedermaching , Le Grand Uff Zaque , Charlie Winston , John Butler Trio , Gentleman , War from a Harlots Mouth , Kaishakunin , Pitchtuner , Jessie Evans , Nosliw , figli di madre ignota , Casper
- 2011: We are Helden , Clueso , Razorlight , Huecco , Bad Religion , Aura Dione , Skunk Anansie , Van Canto , Damion Davis , Jamaram , Your Demise , Sondaschule , Rocky Votolato , Mono , Ohrbooten , Jan Wittmer
- 2012: StereoDrama , Trombone Shorty , Deichkind , Donots , Maxïmo Park , Casper , Culcha Candela , Monsters of Liedermaching , Aphroe , Transmitter , Deez Nuts , Flo Mega , vacation in Poland , Moop Mama , Most Wanted Monster , Otto Normal , P-Vers & Claudio
- 2013: Seeed , Sportfreunde Stiller , Söhne Mannheims , Kettcar , Gentleman , Bosse , Leslie Clio , Kellerkommando , Triggerfinger , Blumio , Lingua Loca , Gasmac Gilmore , Mumuvitch Disko Orkestar , Sea + Air , Reptile Youth
- 2014: The BossHoss , Madsen , Patrice , Coely , Silla (rapper) , Nicolas Sturm , Bury Tomorrow , Soul Sister Dance Revolution , Volxtanz , Abby , Mighty Oaks , Zaz , Jupiter Jones , Mad Caddies
- 2015: Clueso , Endeffekt , Alles Wegen Günther , Heisskalt , Thees Uhlmann , Moop Mama , La Petite Rouge , Mats Heilig , Razz , Selig , The Subways , The Kooks , Roo Panes , Rio Reiser - King of Germany (Badisches Staatstheater), Joris , Fish , AnnenMayKantereit , Jay Ryze , 913, David Floyd , Curlyman , Lumaraa , Azad , Sea Time , Vision, The Lioncloud , Any Given Day , Raketkanon , Skip & Die , Die Goodmäns , Left Thumb Up , Die Nerven , Astroid Boys , GODS , Fritz Kalkbrenner
- 2016: Rea Garvey , Fettes Brot , Element of Crime , Wanda , Milky Chance , Von Brücken , Moop Mama , William Fitzsimmons , Mother Tongue , Dellé , Django 3000 , Razz , Max Giesinger , Timothy Auld, Joey Voodoo, Novaa, Runway Lights, In Haze, Voodoo Kiss, Mats Heilig, The Lytics, Laas Unltd , YAST, The Bazzookas, Kofelgschroa , FùGù Mango
- 2017: Sportfreunde Stiller , Sido , Amy Macdonald , Donots , Jennifer Rostock , pack , tribulation , Zebrahead , Fine cream fish fillet , Äl Jawala , sky blue , reaching 62F , All Haze Red , Thomas Siffling flow , Lotte , Henning Wehland , LaBrassBanda , Mars of Illyricum , Astronautalis , Curse , Brothers of Santa Claus , Finding Harbors , Resistance , Grizzly , Mother's Cake , The Hirsch Effekt , Django S. , Hackmann & Brezmann , The Fantastic Nine , Crimson Shore , Down with the Gypsies , Me + Marie , Wallis Bird
- 2018: Marteria , Mando Diao , Simple Minds , Bosse , Von Wegen Lisbeth , Confidence Man , Gloria , Lucky Chops , Gurr , Losamol feat. Cris Cosmo , Olli Schulz , Bukahara , tape recorder , Ibrahim Electric , Electric Bush Project , Modeste , Airwood , Dälek , Sookee , Miwata , Long Distance Calling , Altin Gün , Surma , Peter Kernel , Sorry for Escalating , Jay Farmer
- 2019: Gentleman , Max Giesinger , Fettes Brot , Querbeat , Faber , Alma , Kelvin Jones , Kettcar , Rival Sons , Grossstadtgeflüster , Aurora , Cobra Express , Kat Frankie , Three Fall & Melane, Barns Courtney , PxP Allstars
- 2020: Due to the worldwide Covid19 pandemic , the festival was canceled for the first time in its history. The festival program has been postponed to 2021.
- Tina Kampf: The festival tickets will be more expensive from 2018. In: Baden's latest news. Badische Latest News Badverarbeitung GmbH, July 18, 2017, accessed on August 5, 2019 .
- Politicians want “Das Fest” even after 2007. In: ka-news.de. June 15, 2007, accessed July 27, 2007 .
- Reason to celebrate: "Das Fest" secured until 2010. In: ka-news.de. September 26, 2007, accessed September 26, 2007 .
- "Das Fest" comes with a new concept. In: ka-news.de. March 17, 2010, accessed March 19, 2010 .
- Tina Kampf: "Das Fest" in Karlsruhe is also canceled due to the corona pandemic. In: bnn.de. Badische Latest News, April 15, 2020, accessed on April 17, 2020 .
- Das Fest 2008. In: ka-news . June 10, 2008, accessed November 16, 2016 .
- Das Fest - Karlsruhe - Who played when? Retrieved November 2, 2017 .
- Das Fest - Karlsruhe - Who played when? Retrieved June 17, 2019 .
- The festival program. Retrieved July 23, 2019 .
- SWR Aktuell, SWR Aktuell: DAS FEST in Karlsruhe with secret actions in the Corona summer. Accessed July 30, 2020 .