A&O Hotels and Hostels
|A&O HOTELS and HOSTELS Holding GmbH
|Seat||Berlin , Germany|
|sales||152 million euros|
The combination of hotel and hostel under one roof was established in 2004. Cheap accommodation for backpackers , youth groups and families are offered , usually in the middle of the city center near the respective main train station in a central location. Since 2008, companies and business travelers have also been increasingly addressed.
A&O currently has 34 hotels and hostels with 7,229 rooms and over 25,000 beds, most of them in Germany, as well as four in Austria (two in Vienna, one in Salzburg and one in Graz), two in the Czech Republic (Prague), Italy ( Venice) and Denmark (Copenhagen) as well as one each in the Netherlands (Amsterdam), Hungary (Budapest) and Poland (Warsaw). In the 2018 financial year, an average occupancy of 66% was achieved with 5 million overnight stays. The turnover was 152 million euros .
The A&O company was founded in 2000 by Oliver Winter and Michael Kluge, and in the same year the first A&O hostel opened in Berlin-Friedrichshain with 164 beds. The idea behind the establishment was the lack of cheap inner-city accommodation for young tourists.
Due to its continued success, the company opened a further store in Berlin in 2002 and 2004. In 2005 the company opened the Hostel Prague Holesovice for the first time outside of Berlin. In the same year they also opened in Munich and Hamburg. From then on, the company expanded steadily and opened two to three locations per year. The focus was on the big German cities, from 2008 onwards the company was also represented in Vienna.
Over the years, existing locations have been successively upgraded to DEHOGA 2-star standard and family rooms have been offered in the hotel sector from 2008.
In 2015, the company began to focus more on the market outside of Germany. This year it opened for the first time in Amsterdam and in 2016 a second store opened in Prague. With the stores in Copenhagen and Venice, the Danish and Italian markets were opened up for the first time in 2017.
The US subsidiary TPG Real Estate has been the majority shareholder of A&O since January 1, 2017 .
With the takeover by TPG, the company intensified its course of expansion with the aim of having a strong presence throughout Europe and expanding its market leadership. In a published list of planned new locations, there are 25 cities across Europe that are planned to be reached in the next few years. These are major cities in England, Scotland, Spain, Portugal, Italy, France, Poland, Hungary, Sweden and Switzerland, as well as in the previous core market of Germany and Austria.
List of hotels and hostels
List of A&O Hotels and Hostels - as of June 2018
|Name of the hotel and hostel||country||opening|
|Prague Holešovice (franchise)||Czech Republic||2005–2012|
|Munich central station||Germany||2005|
|Hamburg Hammer Church||Germany||2005|
|Hamburg Central Station||Germany||2007|
|Dresden Central Station||Germany||2007|
|Leipzig Central Station||Germany||2008|
|Vienna City Hall||Austria||2008|
|Düsseldorf Central Station||Germany||2009|
|Berlin main station||Germany||2010|
|Nuremberg main station||Germany||2011|
|Dortmund Central Station||Germany||2011|
|Prague Metro Strizkov||Czech Republic||2012|
|Karlsruhe main station||Germany||2012-2018|
|Graz Central Station||Austria||2013|
|Vienna Central Station||Austria||2013|
|Frankfurt Galluswarte (trade fair)||Germany||2013|
|Aachen Central Station||Germany||2014|
|Cologne Central Station||Germany||2016|
|Prague Rhea||Czech Republic||2016|
|Salzburg main station||Austria||2016|
|Bremen Central Station||Germany||2017|
|Venice Mestre 2||Italy||2019|
- Budget: Chic and cheap , in: AHGZ online from September 22, 2012, accessed on February 19, 2014
- a & o Hostels take stock: Five million overnight stays and 2.2 million guests in 2018. Accessed on April 16, 2019 .
- Special Investor Relations , trade journal for hotel real estate development, September / October 2012, accessed on January 15, 2014
- A&O HOTELS and HOSTELS receives a new majority shareholder in TPG Real Estate on January 1, 2017 . Press release from A&O Hotels and Hostels Holding AG. In: PREGAS press portal , December 30, 2016, accessed on January 5, 2017.
- A&O Hotels and Hostels - Image brochure 2017/18. (No longer available online.) 2017, archived from the original on December 1, 2017 ; Retrieved November 29, 2017 .
- A&O opens hostel in Karlsruhe , in: AHGZ online from July 5, 2012, accessed on January 15, 2014
- A&O with young talent in Austria , in: tip - Travel Industry Professional from February 27, 2013, accessed on January 15, 2014
- A&O starts 2014 with Hotel in Weimar , article in the Allgemeine Hotel- und Gastronomie-Zeitung from December 10, 2013
- A&O is planning a third house in Munich , article in the Allgemeine Hotel- und Gastronomie-Zeitung from November 13, 2013
- A&O starts in Amsterdam AHGZ on May 5th, 2015
- A&O starts in Stuttgart , Kurz Notiert in Allgemeine Hotel- und Gastronomie-Zeitung from September 5, 2015
- A&O gets a third house in Cologne , article in the Allgemeine Hotel- und Gastronomie-Zeitung from September 15, 2015
- A&O starts second house in Prague , article in the Allgemeine Hotel- und Gastronomie-Zeitung from March 3, 2016
- A&O STARTS IN SALZBURG , article in the Allgemeine Hotel- und Gastronomie-Zeitung from June 21, 2016
- "Making high-priced cities affordable" , article in Salzburger Nachrichten of June 21, 2016
- A&O starts in Copenhagen , article in the Allgemeine Hotel- und Gastronomie-Zeitung from April 19, 2017
- A&O opens house in Bremen , article in the Allgemeine Hotel- und Gastronomie-Zeitung from November 21, 2016