Letters of Paul to the Corinthians
Two letters from Paul to the Corinthians are preserved in the New Testament :
- The 1st epistle of Paul to the Corinthians : The authors are Paul and Sosthenes.
- The 2nd epistle of Paul to the Corinthians : The authors are Paul and Timothy .
Paul probably wrote more than two letters to the church in Corinth (cf. 2 Cor 2: 4 EU ), but only two of them have survived. The 3rd letter to the Corinthians is, however, an invented letter that was written in the name of the apostle and forms part of the Coptic Acts of Paul (Acta Pauli) .
Reconstructed course of visits and letters
The following sequence can be reconstructed from the information in the Acts of the Apostles and the letters to the Corinthians. Based on an inscription found in Corinth relating to the proconsul Gallio , Acts 18.12 EU can be dated to the year 51.
- 50–51: Establishment of the Corinthian congregation and Paul’s stay in the city for a year and a half ( Acts 18.11-17 EU )
- Not received letter of Paul to the Corinthians ( 1 Cor 5,9 EU )
- Answer of the Corinthians ( 1 Cor 7,1 EU )
- Visit of the people of Chloe to Paul in Ephesus ( 1 Cor 1,11 EU )
- Sending Timothy to Corinth ( 1 Cor 4.17 EU )
- Arrival of Stephanas in Ephesus ( 1 Cor 16.17 EU )
- 54 or: 55 Composition of the 1st letter to the Corinthians in Ephesus ( 1 Cor EU )
- Unsuccessful interim visit of Paul in Corinth ( 2 Cor 2.1 EU )
- Paul's return journey to Ephesus
- Interim letter delivered by Titus , Fortunatus and Achaicus ( 2 Cor 2,4 EU )
- Paul's journey to Macedonia and Troas ( Acts 20 : 1-6 EU and 2 Cor 2.12 EU )
- Meeting with Titus ( 2 Cor 7.5-7 EU )
- 56 or 57: Composition of the 2nd letter to the Corinthians in Macedonia ( 2 Cor EU )
- Execution of the collection by Titus ( 2 Cor 8 : 16-24 EU )
- Intended third visit of Paul to Corinth ( 2 Cor 13,1 EU ).
- Hans Frör: Oh your Corinthians. The correspondence of the church in Corinth with Paul . Gütersloher Verlagshaus, Gütersloh 1994, ISBN 3-579-02283-0 .
- Ernst Lerle : Practical commentary on the first letter to the Corinthians. Evangelical Publishing House, Berlin 1978.