CORE (Internet CO uncil of RE gistrars) is a non-profit organization in which international companies have come together in accordance with Swiss law.
The association was founded in October 1997. Its purpose was to put the system of generic top-level domains , which was then monopolistically administered by Network Solutions , on a broad international footing. The members of CORE, who are all registrars , should register domains for the end customers in the competition . Initially, seven new generic top-level domains were to be created: .arts , .firm , .info , .nom , .rec , .shop and .web . The administration of the already existing addresses .com , .net and .org should then be taken over.
Resistance from the United States government initially delayed the plans and later brought them to fruition. ICANN , organized under private law, was founded , which instead of CORE is responsible for the domain system in self-administration worldwide.
CORE then changed its strategy: On the one hand, the organization acts as a registrar and applies for new domains to the respective registries on behalf of its members. The domains then offer these to their end customers and resellers . The top-level domains under which domains can be registered with CORE include various generic and country-specific top-level domains . At the same time, CORE itself acts as a registry for .museum and .cat .
More attention was paid to CORE as part of the EURE consortium, which applied to the European Commission to manage .eu in 2002 but was ultimately unable to enforce it. In the course of the introduction of new top-level domains , CORE applied again for a top-level domain: On behalf of the General Association of International Sports Federations , the technical operation of .sport was to be taken over.
- Background. (No longer available online.) Internet Council of Registrars, archived from the original on June 23, 2013 ; accessed on July 24, 2013 . Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- Monika Ermert: For a handful of new names. In: c't. Heise Verlag, accessed on July 24, 2013 .
- Reselling Member Agreement. (No longer available online.) Internet Council of Registrars, archived from original on June 15, 2013 ; accessed on July 24, 2013 . Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- Florian Hitzelberger: Secret about registry applicants revealed? In: domain-right. November 1, 2002, accessed July 24, 2013 .
- Florian Hitzelberger: .sport - the 3rd applicant for the New gTLD. In: domain-right. January 16, 2012, accessed July 24, 2013 .