Content marketing is a marketing technique that aims to address the target group with informative, advisory and entertaining content in order to convince them of your own company and its range of services or your own brand and to win or retain them as customers .
In contrast to advertising techniques such as advertisements, banners or commercials, the content of content marketing does not focus on the positive presentation of one's own company and its products, but rather offers useful information , knowledge or entertainment. Content marketing orients itself in addressing and subject matter to specialist press, advisory and entertainment publications. Content marketing achieves its goals by profiling the content producer as experts , consultants and entertainers who demonstrate competencies, know-how and value proposition through the content, instead of just claiming them.
Content marketing is part of strategic marketing. It focuses on creating and disseminating valuable, relevant, and consistent content in order to attract, retain, and ultimately generate profitable customer action.
Content marketing can constitute unfair competition . According to the UWG , services paid for by the marketing operator are to be classified as surreptitious advertising if they appear unmarked on third-party websites.
Content marketing content can be published on company websites , your own blogs , your own mobile apps, on social media platforms such as Twitter , Facebook or Instagram , on platforms for user-generated content such as YouTube , Pinterest or Flickr or via classic public relations and online PR . Further forms of publication are e-books , white papers , (online) presentations, newsletters and microsites , for example based on collaboration with editorial offers.
Content marketing is also used as a search engine and inbound marketing technique. In search engine marketing, content interspersed with the right keywords make websites findable. In addition, appealing content as linkbait can lead visitors to link it. Inbound marketing uses content for lead generation and only makes it available after providing individual contact details .
As Content Seeding refers to the spreading of content on the Internet, the more links, known as backlinks to create, for their own content. The aim is that the content is rated as relevant for search engines and thus receives a better ranking.
- Steven Broschart, Rainer Monschein: The content factor. Franzis Verlag, 2017.
- Susan Gunelius: Content Marketing for Dummies. John Wiley & Sons, 2011.
- Miriam Löffler: Think Content! Galileo Press, 2014.
- Robert Rose, Joe Pulizzi: Managing Content Marketing - The Real-World Guide for Creating Passionate Subscribers to Your Brand. Cmi Books, Division of Z Squared Media, 2011.
- "Content Marketing - How 'Company Journalists' Influence Public Opinion" , Otto-Brenner-Stiftung , Arbeitsheft 86/2016
- “Professionalization of a discipline”: BVDW publishes code of conduct for content marketing , meedia.de July 12, 2018