The central storage of files has the following advantages and reasons:
- with appropriate organization, better overview of existing data
- Avoiding conflicts between different versions of a document
- central assignment of rights for files, very fine-grained with ACLs
- Working groups can work with the same files without them on removable media having to transport
- Possibility of automatic versioning or revision
- Data backups are simpler and cheaper, as data does not have to be backed up individually on each client. With the appropriate file system, logical volume manager or disk array , snapshots can be taken during operation .
The network protocol used on the Internet is usually FTP , its secure variants SCP and SFTP or WebDAV . In intranets , SMB / CIFS is usually used in Windows and Mac environments, and NFS in Unix environments .