The Haggadah ( Hebrew הגדה, Plural Haggadot Hebrew הגדות, Verbal nouns from the root word Hebrew נגד; dt. “tell”, “report”) in the religious life of the Jews is a narrative and an instruction for the Seder on Erev Passover , the eve of the feast of the liberation of the Israelites from Egyptian slavery.
This Passover Haggadah is a sometimes illustrated booklet that is read and sung together with the family at the feast. It is written partly in Aramaic , partly in Hebrew (today mostly with translation and explanations in the national language) and describes the processes described in the Book of Exodus : the exile in Egypt and the departure into freedom. There are also traditional rabbinical embellishments and interpretations of this story. Numerous traditional songs accompany the feast that is part of the seder evening. This includes the song of the four questions Ma Nishtana ( Hebrew מַה נִּשְׁתַּנָּה, German "What makes a difference ..." ). The traditional conclusion of the Haggadah is the song Chad gadja ( Aramaic גַּדְיָא חַד).
The so-called Vogelkopf Haggadah , which originated in Germany and was created around 1300, is one of the most famous Haggadot . A manuscript that is as famous as it is remarkable is the Sarajevo Haggadah made in Spain .
- Zvi Shua Faust: History of the Kibbutz Haggadah. Jerusalem 2011.
- Michael Shire , Walter Homolka, Andreas Nachama, Jonah Sievers (eds.): The Passover Haggadah . Hebrew / German with transliteration. Hentrich & Hentrich Verlag, Berlin 2013, ISBN 978-3-942271-89-9 (64 pages, translator: Annette Böckler).
- Elazar Ari Lipinski: Abrabanel Haggadah. Passover the feast of questions. Passover issue 109/2009 of the journal of the regional association of Jewish communities in Bavaria, pp. 3–4 (pdf; 274 kB). German illustrated version: Abravanel Pesach Haggada, A Holiday of Questions - by Ari Lipinski
- The Bird's Head Haggadah in the Jewish Heritage Online Magazine
- www.talmud.de/sarajevo - The Sarajevo Haggadah from the 14th century in pictures (kept in the National Museum of Bosnia and Herzegovina )
- de.chabad.org/Haggada - The complete Haggadah in German with instructions and explanations
- The full text of the Haggadah in full
- The Passover Haggadah in the Yale University Library Collections Virtual exhibition of manuscripts, early and modern printed editions
- Tegernsee Haggadah Passover Haggadah - BSB Cod.hebr. 200 in the collection of the Bavarian State Library