|Country of production||
|Year (s)||since 2004|
|Sunday, 6.55 p.m.|
|genre||Knowledge and documentation broadcast|
|First broadcast||January 4th, 2004 on Arte|
Karambolage is a television program on Arte , conceived by the French filmmaker Claire Doutriaux , in which Franco-German peculiarities and curiosities are presented and explained in an artistic, humorous and experimental way every week. In 2006 Claire Doutriaux received the Adolf Grimme Prize in the “Special” competition category for the “idea, design and realization” of this program .
Content of the broadcast
Within changing rubrics (“the subject”, “the word”, “the custom”, “the archive”, “the symbol” etc.), the viewer is presented with various interesting etymological and cultural contexts or differences between the German and everyday French culture.
Formally, graphics and animations are favored. There are also game scenes, however, which are alienated and manipulated using the bluebox process. In animations, collage elements are often combined with drawings. Archive recordings used in image analysis are also processed graphically.
A fixed instance at the end of every program is “Das Rätsel”. This is a short video of an everyday scene in which the viewer has to use an index to find out whether it was recorded in Germany or France.
The broadcast date changed several times, since September 2018 the program has been broadcast in Germany on Sundays at 6:55 p.m. on Arte in multi-channel sound (German / French), and in France at 8:35 p.m. It takes about 11 minutes. The program is repeated irregularly around 6.45 am in the early program of the following week. All programs from recent years are also available on the program's homepage.
The 500th episode of Carom was broadcast on February 10, 2019.
Arte's budget is enough for 40 broadcasts a year. With 52 calendar weeks, repetitions must be broadcast in at least 12 weeks or the programs must be omitted completely. On average, carom reaches 80,000 viewers in Germany and 500,000 viewers in France, which has to do with the fact that, due to the different structure of the television landscape, Arte is generally viewed less in Germany than in France.
A total of ten DVDs for the show were published by Absolut Medien Verlag. After the first DVD carom , carom 1 to carom appeared , with carom and carom 1 having the same content and only differing from the cover. DVDs 3 to 10 were only released as part of sets of 5 DVDs.
- Carom 1 (2005)
- Carom 2 (2006)
- Carom 1 + 2 (2007)
- Billiards 1-5 (2008)
- Carom 6-10 (2012)
- Kathrin Uhde: KARAMBOLAGE or seeing the Franco-German quirks with different eyes. An intercultural television analysis. Avinus, Berlin 2007, ISBN 978-3-930064-70-0 .
- "Karambolage" at Arte
- Carom in the Internet Movie Database (English)
- Adolf Grimme Prize 2006: Justification by the Adolf Grimme Institute for awarding the prize to Claire Doutriaux
- Arte's TV program on February 10, 2019.Retrieved on February 12, 2019.
- Arte DVD list ( Memento of the original from January 28, 2013 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. . Arte website. Retrieved January 21, 2013.
- Arte Karambolage 1 Arte website. Retrieved January 21, 2013.
- Collision 1. In: absolutmedien.de. Archived from the original on February 17, 2013 ; Retrieved April 8, 2016 .
- Arte carom 2 Arte website. Retrieved January 21, 2013.
- Karambolage 2. In: absolutmedien.de. Archived from the original on February 17, 2013 ; Retrieved April 8, 2016 .
- Open ISBN Karambolage 1 + 2 ( Memento of the original from December 28, 2015 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. Open ISBN website. Retrieved January 21, 2013.
- Arte Karambolage 1–5 Arte website. Retrieved January 21, 2013.
- Collision 1-5. In: absolutmedien.com. Archived from the original on February 15, 2013 ; Retrieved April 8, 2016 .
- Arte Karambolage 6-10 Arte website. Retrieved January 21, 2013.
- 6-10. In: absolutmedien.de. Retrieved April 8, 2016 .