Marcus Postumius Regillensis
Marcus Postumius Regillensis was a Roman politician of the older Roman Republic in the late 5th century BC. And member of the patrician gens Postumia . He officiated in 414 BC. As a consular tribune ( tribunus militum consulari potestate ) and was entrusted with the warfare against the Acres .
After conquering the city of Bolae, he was stoned to death in an open riot ( seditio militum ) because of his promises not kept and his harsh, disproportionate approach to the protesting soldiers . Only in the following year could the designated consuls be commissioned to investigate ( quaestiones extraordinariae ) the case after a senate decision ( senatus consultum ) . Only the ringleaders of the uprising were identified and executed.
The peculiarity of this not uncontroversial reference to the source by Titus Livius lies in the nature of the repressive procedure. For the crimes committed by soldiers in the field, unlimited military jurisdiction ( militiae ) would have been used. Due to the special circumstances, which presumably resulted from the smoldering class fights , the milder, civil jurisdiction route was chosen out of consideration for the majority of the plebeian soldiers .
A similar fate happened in 89 BC. The Aulus Postumius Albinus , a distant descendant of M. Postumius Regillensis. Here, however, the homicide had no consequences for the perpetrators.
- M. Postumius in Titus Livius; P. Postumius A. f. A. n. [Albinus Regillens (is)] in the Fasti Capitolini AE 1904, 114
- Titus Livius: Ab urbe condita 4, 49
- Titus Livius: Ab urbe condita 4, 49, 50
- Titus Livius: Ab urbe condita 4, 51
- Wolfgang Kunkel , Roland Wittmann : State order and state practice of the Roman Republic. Section 2: The Magistrate. CH Beck, Munich 1995, ISBN 3-406-33827-5 , p. 327 with note 108.
- Joachim Ermann: Research on Roman law; Criminal Trial, Public Interest and Private Prosecution: Investigations into the Criminal Law of the Roman Republic, Der Fall des Postumius, pp. 97-102.
- Joachim Ermann: Research on Roman law; Criminal Trial, Public Interest and Private Prosecution: Investigations into the Criminal Law of the Roman Republic, Der Fall des Postumius , p. 98, note 288.
- Marieluise Deißmann-Merten : Postumius 1. In: The Little Pauly (KlP). Volume 4, Stuttgart 1972, Sp. 1086 f.
- Joachim Ermann: Research on Roman Law; Criminal Trial, Public Interest and Private Prosecution: Investigations on the Criminal Law of the Roman Republic , Böhlau Verlag, Cologne, Weimar, Berlin, 1999, ISBN 3-412-08299-6
|SURNAME||Regillensis, Marcus Postumius|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Military tribune|
|DATE OF BIRTH||5th century BC Chr.|
|DATE OF DEATH||414 BC Chr.|