|founding||October 2, 1984
(as Arcen Data AS )
|resolution||December 31, 2012|
|Seat||Lysaker , Norway|
|management||Stein Surlien, CEO (until 12/2012)|
|Number of employees||120|
The company was founded by John Arthur Olafsen on October 2nd, 1984 under the name Arcen Data AS in Oslo . The business area initially consisted of backup solutions and analysis software. With the appearance of the first computer viruses in Norway in 1988, the company specialized in anti-virus programs . Within three years, Norman became the market leader in virus protection in Norway. In 1992 the name was changed to Norman Data Defense Systems and on August 11, 1997 the holding was listed on the Oslo Stock Exchange as Norman ASA .
In the 1990s the company opened branches in other European countries and the USA. In Germany, Norman was active as Norman Data Defense Systems GmbH from 1994 . The branch in Switzerland was responsible for overseas markets. In 1995 Norman took over a 50% share in the data recovery specialist IBAS AS . The company acquired the remaining shares in 1999. Five years later, however, the companies were separated again and IBAS was again traded as an independent company on the Oslo Stock Exchange.
In 1998 the Dutch ESaSS BV from Wijchen , the manufacturer of ThunderBYTE Anti-Virus (TBAV), was merged with Norman AS .
In 2009 Norman AS was sold to the private equity fund FSN Capital Partners and taken off the stock exchange in October of the same year. At the end of 2012, there was a split into Norman Safeground AS with a focus on consumers, small and medium-sized companies and Norman Shark AS for large companies. Just one year later, Norman Shark AS was acquired by Blue Coat Systems , which was acquired by Symantec Corporation in June 2016 and merged with their business customer division.
Norman Safeground AS specialized in the development and sale of solutions for the protection of computers, networks and data in private households as well as in small and medium-sized companies against malware and other threats. In addition to the antivirus products, from the beginning of 2014 also for Mac OS and Android , Norman also offered e-mail protection as well as solutions for monitoring applications and devices and for patch management, and from the end of 2011 cloud storage and a PC -Tuning tool for private users. In the summer of 2013, Norman expanded its range to include a solution for online data backup and a cloud storage service for companies.
In November 2014, AVG Technologies announced that it had acquired Norman Safeground AS . AVG Technologies has been part of the Avast Group since 2016 .
For private users
- Virus protection Norman Antivirus
- Virus protection Norman Security Suite, additional components Norman Parental Control, Norman Personal Firewall, Norman Antispam
- Virus protection Norman Security Suite PRO, additional components Norman Parental Control, Norman Personal Firewall, Norman Antispam, Norman Intrusion Detection and Norman Privacy Tools
- Malware protection for Mac OS X Norman Antivirus for MAC
- Malware protection for Android phones Norman Mobile Security
- Norman Personal Backup cloud storage service
- Emergency CD Norman Rescue Disk
- Network virus protection Norman Endpoint Protection
- Endpoint monitoring Norman Enterprise Security Suite with the components Norman Application Control, Norman Device Control and Norman Patch & Remediation
- Email Protection and Management Norman Email Protection
- Security service Norman Online Protection with the spam filter SecureMail and the web filter SecureSurf
- Online backup service Norman SecureBackup
- Norman SecureBox cloud storage service