coat of arms
|mayor||Marijke van Beek ( PvdA ; acting)|
|Seat of the municipality||Wijchen|
|69.56 km 2
66.21 km 2
3.35 km 2
|Residents||40,937 (Jan 31, 2019)|
|Population density||589 inhabitants / km 2|
|Important traffic route|
|prefix||024, 0486, 0487|
|Postcodes||6601-6606, 6613, 6615-6617, 6634|
|Website||Homepage of Wijchen|
Wijchen ( Dutch municipality in the province of Gelderland and had 40,937 inhabitants on January 31, 2019, according to the CBS . In addition to the main town of Wijchen, it includes a number of villages, of which Bergharen, Leur, Alverna, and Hernen are the most important.) is a
Location and economy
Wijchen is located between the Maas and Waal rivers , immediately south-west of Nijmegen , on the motorway and the railway in the direction of Oss and 's-Hertogenbosch . At Station Wijchen but keep only local trains. Along the railway line there is an industrial area with many small industrial and wholesale companies. Many Wijchen people commute because they have their work in Nijmegen . There is significant agriculture in the area.
Sights and events
- There are some small nature areas in the municipality that are freely accessible to walkers.
- In the center of the village is Wijchen Castle (built in 1369, restored after a major fire in 1906), which was the town hall from 1933 to 1981, and the upper floor of which houses a small museum.
- Hernen Castle, in the village of the same name (west of Wijchen), was built in 1369. Since it has never been besieged or destroyed in its history, it is still largely in its original state. The castle can be visited from time to time. The surroundings of the castle are beautiful and varied.
- Batenburg Castle, in the former town of the same name, where the Lords of Bronkhorst lived in the Middle Ages , has been in ruins since 1794. Batenburg is now a small farming village. A house where the city in the late Middle Age coins were struck ( "The Munte") suggests even that Batenburg has been a city in the past.
- A large Hindu temple was opened and inaugurated in Wijchen in January 2006 for the ethnic minority from Surinam , to which many people of Indian origin belong . The sanctuary is the largest Hindu temple in the Netherlands.
- The international wheelchair dance event Wijchen Swingt Internationaal takes place annually in Wijchen , organized by Stichting Rolstoeldansen Nederland (Foundation for Wheelchair Dance Netherlands).
- The day of Wijchen is the second day of the Nijmegen March, which has been running since 1909. In 2016, at 4:00 am, 50,000 participants started the “hike with the most participants worldwide”.
Distribution of seats in the municipal council
The municipal council has been formed as follows since 1982:
|Wijchen Lokaal b||-||-||2||3||2||4th||6th||4th||1||2|
|Leefbaar Wijchen c||-||-||-||-||-||5||4th||-||-||-|
|Thé Straten voor Gemeentebelangen d||1||1||2||3||5||2||0||-||-||-|
|Gemeentebelangen Wijchen e f||4th||5||4th||2||3||-||-||-||-||-|
College of Mayors and Aldermen
For the period 2018–2022 there is a coalition of the parties Kernachtig Wijchen, PvdA and VVD . The PvdA and VVD each provide the council with one councilor, while Kernachtig Wijchen contributes two councilors. The following people belong to the staff and work in the following areas:
|Mayoress||Marijke van Beek||PvdA||administrative organization and coordination, public order and security, coordination of enforcement, public services, employees and facility services, communication, representation and advertising, regional cooperation||acting; in office since April 14, 2020|
|Alderman||Paul Loermans||Really Wijchen||public work, traffic and transport, the environment, nature and landscape management, sports and facilities, education and culture, quality of life||first deputy mayor|
|Geert Gerrits||Really Wijchen||Finances, spatial planning, housing, basics||second deputy mayor|
|Titus Burgers||PvdA||Social Welfare Act, Child Welfare and Health Care, Welfare, Sustainability||third deputy mayor|
|Nick Derks||VVD||Participation Act, Economy, Job Opportunities and Tourism, Social Affairs and Minimum Income Policy, Real Estate||fourth deputy mayor|
|Community Secretary||Remco Boer||-||-||in office since September 2017|
- Wesley Hendriks (* 1985), ice hockey player
- Roy Makaay (* 1975), football player
- Joël Piroe (* 1999), football player
- Fred Rutten (* 1962), soccer player and coach
- Website of the municipality (Dutch)
- Frank Hermans: Marijke van Beek benoemd dead waarnemend burgemeester van Wijchen. In: de Gelderlander . De Persgroep Nederland , March 4, 2020, accessed April 14, 2020 (Dutch).
- Bevolkingsontwikkeling; regio per maand . In: StatLine . Centraal Bureau voor de Statistiek (Dutch)
- Result of the local elections: 2014 2018 , accessed on July 24, 2018 (Dutch)
- seats in the municipal council: 1983–2002 2006 2010 2014 2018 , accessed on July 24, 2018 (Dutch)
- Coalitieakkoord 2018-2022.pdf (PDF, 4.92 MB) Gemeente Wijchen, accessed on July 24, 2018 (Dutch)
- Samenstelling college ( memento of the original from July 25, 2018 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. Gemeente Wijchen, accessed July 24, 2018 (Dutch)