The mushroom spawn is made from a piece of tissue from a mushroom by applying the mushroom piece to agar , usually under sterile laboratory conditions . After a while the mycelium forms, which is "inoculated" on grain. Depending on the type of fungus, after a few weeks the mycelium will also grow through the grain and can therefore be used. For the hobby area, the grain spawn is again inoculated on straw or sawdust , which are much less sensitive. The mushroom spawn is then used as a starting point for the cultivation of edible mushrooms , similar to the seeds of vegetables .
- Method for cultivating a mushroom spawn Patent DE 102012101786 A1
- Cultivation and propagation of mushrooms www.was-wir-essen.de
- Mushroom cultivation in the hobby garden at www.gartenakademie.rlp.de
- Swiss Journal of Pilzkunde - Bulletin Suisse de mycologie , Volumes 65-66 (1987), pp. 58, 204f.
- edible mushrooms yourself - it's that easy to grow mushrooms ( Memento of the original from August 9, 2014 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was automatically inserted and not yet checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. , Volle Kanne , zdf.de, September 5, 2013.