Rail Cargo Group
|Rail Cargo Austria AG
|founding||January 1, 2005|
|Seat||Vienna , Austria|
|Number of employees||9,340 (2019)|
|sales||EUR 2.3 billion (2019)|
|Branch||Transport and logistics|
|As of December 31, 2019|
The Rail Cargo Austria AG (RCA) is an Austrian freight carriers in rail transport , based in Vienna . It was founded on January 1st, 2005 as an independent company from the freight transport division of ÖBB . The RCA is one of three operative sub-companies of the umbrella company ÖBB-Holding-AG . The RCA serves as the operational lead company and controls the cross-border business of the Rail Cargo Group (RCG). The group is the second largest rail freight company in Europe after Deutsche Bahn .
History and dates
The RCA was founded on January 1st, 2005 as an independent freight transport company of the Austrian Federal Railways (ÖBB) and is one of three operational subsidiaries of ÖBB-Holding AG. Rail Cargo Austria AG (RCA) operates under the five business areas of Rail Cargo Logistics , Operator ( Rail Cargo Operator ), Traction ( Rail Cargo Carrier ), Car Fleet ( Rail Cargo Wagon ) and Maintenance ( ÖBB-Technische Services ) Brand name Rail Cargo Group (RCG).
In 2019, the RCG generated an annual turnover of almost 2.3 billion euros with 9,340 employees. It owns more than 50 operating companies, more than 30 of which are majority holdings. RCG has offices in 18 countries. Your home markets are Austria and Hungary.
In 2008, the RCA bought the freight division of the Hungarian railways (MÁV Cargo Rt.). The Rail Cargo Hungaria Zrt. (RCH) transports 135,000 trains and 32 million tons of goods annually.
On April 12, 2018, a direct freight train from Chengdu in China started freight traffic over the 9,800-kilometer route (via Kazakhstan, Russia, Ukraine and Slovakia) to Vienna. Since several lane changes are currently necessary on this route, plans have been underway for several years - together with other railway companies - to extend the (Russian) broad-gauge rail network to the greater Vienna area, see broad-gauge Košice – Vienna line .
Rail Cargo Austria itself owns shares in other companies in the ÖBB Group as well as subsidiaries from the freight forwarding sector. The group of companies is divided into the following business areas:
Rail Cargo Logistics
Rail Cargo Logistics - Austria GmbH was founded in 1947 as Express-Interfracht Internationale Spedition GmbH and has been part of Rail Cargo Austria AG since 1999.
The brand name Rail Cargo Logistics has united three companies since 2014 and is a full-service provider for intermodal rail freight forwarding of bulk goods. Rail Cargo Logistics includes:
- Rail Cargo Logistics - Austria GmbH: Subsidiary for rail transport, MOBILER logistics - combination of rail and road, road transport and warehouse logistics
- Rail Cargo Logistics GmbH: Subsidiary for transport logistics for bulk goods
- Rail Cargo Logistics - Environmental Services GmbH: Logistics company in the field of waste recycling and waste disposal
Rail cargo operator
Five Central and Eastern European operator companies of RCG operate under the brand name Rail Cargo Operator, which operate international intermodal transports in accompanied (ROLA - Rolling Landstrasse) and unaccompanied combined transport.
The five companies include:
- Rail Cargo Operator - Austria GmbH (Austria)
- Rail Cargo Operator - CSKD sro (Czech Republic and Slovakia)
- Rail Cargo Operator - Hungaria Kft. (Hungary)
- Rail Cargo Terminal - BILK Zrt. (Hungary)
- Adria Kombi doo (Slovenia)
Rail cargo carrier
Rail Cargo Carrier provides locomotives and employees and runs block trains in or from Central, Southern and Eastern Europe, to Russia or Turkey.
The Rail Cargo Carrier brand comprises the following companies:
- ÖBB-Produktion GmbH
- Rail Cargo Hungaria Zrt.
- Rail Cargo Carrier Kft.
Rail Cargo Wagon - Austria GmbH
Rail Cargo Wagon - Austria GmbH was created in the course of outsourcing all freight wagons to a separate company; it controls the wagon fleet of the Rail Cargo Group.
The maintenance and repair activities are summarized in this business area. The Technische Services brand connects the following companies:
- ÖBB-Technische Services GmbH
- Technical Services Hungaria Kft.
- TS-MAV Gépészet Services Kft.
- Technical services Slovakia sro
- The RCG in numbers. Rail Cargo Group, 2020, accessed June 8, 2020 .
- Die Presse: ÖBB: Seven freight trains per week between China and Austria , April 12, 2018
- Rail Cargo Group Blog | We write about rail . In: Rail Cargo Group Blog We write about rail . ( railcargo.com [accessed April 18, 2018]).