Robert Kaplan (Author)
He is best known in the USA through the "Mathematics Circle" founded together with his wife Ellen in 1994, an extracurricular program for mathematical didactics and the "enjoyment of pure mathematics", as well as through the popular science bestseller The Story of Zero, which has been translated into several languages . In addition to mathematics , he also taught philosophy, Greek, German and Sanskrit. He lives in Cambridge, Massachusetts .
- Robert Kaplan: The History of Zero . Campus Verlag, Frankfurt / M. 2000, ISBN 3-593-36427-1 . Paperback edition: Piper Verlag, 2003, ISBN 3-492-23918-8 (English original 1991).
- Robert Kaplan and Ellen Kaplan: Thinking the Infinite. A seduction to mathematics . Econ, Munich 2003, ISBN 3-430-15202-X (English original under the title The Art of the Infinite. The Pleasures of Mathematics . Oxford University Press 2003, ISBN 978-0195147438 )
- Robert Kaplan and Ellen Kaplan: Out of the Labyrinth. Setting Mathematics Free . Oxford University Press 2007, ISBN 978-0195147445
- Literature by and about Robert Kaplan in the catalog of the German National Library
- The Math Circle
- Article by Kaplan about the math circle in AMS Notices Volume 42, Number 9 (PDF file; 68 kB)
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||American math educator and popular science writer|
|DATE OF BIRTH||May 30, 1933|