The Schwabenhaus at Badstrasse 48 in Heilbronn is the boathouse and former club of the Swabian rowing society founded in 1879. It is the oldest clubhouse in town.
The building was planned by the architects Beutinger & Steiner at the beginning of the 20th century and erected in 1909. It replaced a wooden boathouse from 1880. Most of the ground floor was taken up by the boathouse; there were also changing and washing rooms as well as a bowling alley. The first floor housed the common rooms including a music platform and an open and a covered terrace with a view of the Neckar . J. Baum published in the article Works of the architects Beutinger and Steiner in Heilbronn 1910 in the magazine Die Kunst, in addition to the floor plans, an exterior view of the building. The house was already referred to as the "Swabian House" in this article.
In the air raids on Heilbronn in 1944 the structure was badly damaged; according to a newspaper report, it burned down to the boat hangars; a drawing from 1945, however, shows the remains of the upper parts of the building that have been severely damaged. The Schwabenhaus was repaired based on the old model; from 1946 rowing was resumed.
In 1966 a sanitary and changing wing was added.
The Ruderschwaben teamed up with the Heilbronn section of the German Alpine Club in 1987 to jointly maintain the property. The DAV section acquired half of the building and both clubs rebuilt the house together, each bearing half of the costs. According to plans by the architect Wahrmut Stehle , the house was extensively rebuilt from November 1987 to September 1988, after which the DAV section moved into the building with its office, library and youth room. The DAV section office remained there until the move to the climbing arena at the Heilbronn power plant in 2008, but the section's events continued to take place in the Schwabenhaus. In 2013, half of the house still belonged to the section, which at the time decided to sell its share to the Ruderschwaben for 165,000 euros.
The public restaurant Schwabenhaus in the building was open until October 2012 when the lessee of the premises in need of renovation gave notice. The Tanzhaus Heilbronn dance school has been a tenant since November 2013 .
- rowers bring alpinists on board , in: Heilbronner Voice , June 12, 2009
- J. Baum, work by architects Beutinger and Steiner in Heilbronn , in: Die Kunst. Monthly books for free and applied arts , XIII. Volume, Vol. 22, 1910, pp. 152–161 ( online at archive.org )
- Drawing of the damaged Schwabenhaus on www.stimme.de
- Heilbronn City Archives, archive signature ZS-508
- Section Heilbronn of the German Alpine Association (ed.): 100 Years Section Heilbronn in the German Alpine Association , Heilbronn 1991, pp. 38–44.
- Rowers bring alpinists on board , in: Heilbronner Voice, June 12, 2009.
- Helmut Buchholz, No Alpine Center on Heilbronn Buga site , in: Heilbronner Voice , March 14, 2013
- Homepage of the Tanzhaus Heilbronn
- kis: stroll through town . In: Heilbronner Voice , November 7, 2013
- Building application from 1908 with plans of the building at stadtarchiv-heilbronn.de (PDF, 9 pages)