Thomas Niehr studied German, philosophy and educational science at the Friedrich-Wilhelms-Universität Bonn , where he also received his doctorate in 1993. In 2002 he completed his habilitation at the Heinrich Heine University in Düsseldorf (Venia legendi: German Linguistics). In 2009 he accepted the professorship for German Linguistics at the Institute for Linguistics and Communication Studies at RWTH Aachen University, where he had previously been a professor's representative since 2004 and an adjunct professor since 2007. In March 2014, Niehr took on an Erasmus short-term lectureship at the Università degli Studi di Modena e Reggio Emilia and in October 2016 a visiting professor at the Tongji University in Shanghai .
Thomas Niehr is the 1st chairman of the Working Group Language in Politics eV and chairman of the Aachen branch of the Society for German Language . He is also on the scientific advisory board of the book series Empirical Linguistics (edited by Wolfgang Imo and Constanze Spieß, Verlag de Gruyter).
A complete list of the scientific publications can be found on Thomas Niehr's website at RWTH Aachen University.
- (together with Jana Reissen-Kosch): People's voice? On the language of right-wing populism. Berlin: Dudenverlag, 2018.
- (together with Jörg Kilian and Jürgen Schiewe): Language criticism. Approaches and methods of critical consideration of language. 2nd, revised and updated edition. Berlin / Boston: de Gruyter, 2016.
- Introduction to political linguistics. Göttingen: Vandenhoeck & Ruprecht, 2014.
- Introduction to linguistic discourse analysis. Darmstadt: Scientific Book Society, 2014.
- The dispute over migration in Germany, Austria and Switzerland. A Comparative Discourse History Investigation. Heidelberg: Winter, 2004.
- (together with Matthias Jung and Karin Böke): Foreigners and migrants in the press. A discourse-historical dictionary on immigration since 1945. Wiesbaden: Westdeutscher Verlag, 2000.
- Keywords in a political and cultural context. On the public discourse in the FRG from 1966 to 1974. Wiesbaden: Deutscher Universitäts Verlag, 1993.
- (together with Jörg Kilian and Martin Wengeler): Handbuch Sprache und Politik (3 volumes). Bremen: Hempen, 2017.
- (together with Jörg Kilian): Politics as linguistically bound knowledge. Political language in lifelong learning and political action. Bremen: Hempen, 2013.
- (together with Hajo Diekmannshenke): Public words. Analysis of public media use of language. Stuttgart: ibidem, 2013.
- (together with Dietrich Busse and Martin Wengeler): Explosive semantics. Newer concepts and research results of a cultural studies linguistics. Tübingen: Niemeyer, 2005.
- (together with Karin Böke): Immigration Discourses. Comparative discourse linguistic studies. Wiesbaden: Westdeutscher Verlag, 2000.
- Thomas Niehr. In: Kürschner's German Scholars Calendar Online. De Gruyter. Retrieved August 29, 2014.
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German linguist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||January 10, 1961|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Dortmund|