Radius of gyration
For a good material utilization z. B. in flywheels a radius of gyration is sought which is large compared to the outer dimension, d. H. is as far out as possible.
The radius of gyration is used here as a calculation variable in the verification of buckling loads .
Calculation of the radius of gyration with known geometry
Cylinder: , ,
Any cross-section: -> The radius of gyration can be calculated from this equation.
In polymer chemistry , the mean square distance between the molecular chains and the center of gravity of the molecule is referred to as the scattering mass radius , sometimes also as the radius of gyration .
- Martin Mayr: Technical mechanics: statics - kinematics - kinetics - vibrations - strength theory . Part 3, ISBN 978-3-446-22608-1 , chap. 5 .
- Alfred Böge (Ed.): Vieweg manual mechanical engineering: Basics and applications of mechanical engineering . 18th edition. Vieweg, 2007, ISBN 978-3-8348-0110-4 ( limited preview in Google Book Search).
- Friedrich R. Schwarzl: Polymer mechanics: Structure and mechanical behavior of polymers . Springer, 1990, ISBN 3-540-51965-3 ( limited preview in Google book search).
- Strength of Materials (accessed October 18, 2019)
- Area moments of inertia (accessed on October 18, 2019)
- Faculty of Physics and Geosciences Basic physics internship (accessed October 18, 2019)
- Load-bearing capacity of structural steel bars - non-linear load-bearing behavior, stability, verification methods (accessed on October 18, 2019)