The Unity Church of Christianity ( Unity for short ), not to be confused with the Unitarians , is the largest denomination of the New Spirit movement . The Church was founded by Charles Fillmore (1854-1948) and Myrtle Fillmore (1845-1931) in 1889. Its headquarters are in Unity Village in the US state of Missouri .
Over 900 parishes and groups are connected to Unity . Unity has around two million followers in over 15 different countries . The ordination of women and same-sex couples are allowed to marry in Unity Church . Unity publishes a monthly magazine called Daily Word . In Germany is published monthly Daily word that the German language version and translation of the Daily Word is. The publisher in Germany is Frick Verlag in Pforzheim, which is also the publisher of other Unity literature in German.
Definition of terms
The word "Unity" means unity and stands for the oneness between God and man. The Unity Church describes itself as "a non-denominational movement that affirms the 'spiritual unity' of man with God, the source of life, love and good" . According to its own account, Unity is based on the teaching and life of Jesus Christ .
Principles of the Unity Teachings
- God is source and creator of all beings . There is no other everlasting force. God is good and omnipresent .
- Man is a spiritual being, created according to God's concept. Let the Spirit of God live in everyone, which is why all people are naturally good.
- "Affirmative prayer has power". Believe that prayer strengthens the connection with God.
- Knowledge of these spiritual principles is not sufficient. Man must live it.
Works from the context of the Unity Church (selection)
- Christian healing , Charles Fillmore, 3rd edition 1974, Frick Verlag, Pforzheim
- The Household of Faith: The Story of Unity , JD Freeman, 1981, Frick Verlag, Pforzheim
- The book of silent prayer , Silent Unity, 1986, Frick Verlag, Pforzheim
- The basics of Unity , Unity Germany, 2011, Frick Verlag, Pforzheim
- Jeremy Rapport: Corresponding to the Rational World . Nova Religio 14 (4), 2011. pp. 11-29.
- Charles Samuel Braden: Spirits in rebellion: the rise and development of new thought. Southern Methodist University Press, Dallas, 1963. pp. 233-263.
- Gordon Hosbrook: Unity School of Christianity: A Christian movement or a non-Christian cult ?. ProQuest Dissertations Publishing, Alexandria / Virginia, 1990.
- Augusta Simon: THE UPWARD WAY: THE RHETORIC OF TRANSCENDENCE IN THE UNITY SCHOOL OF CHRISTIANITY. ProQuest Dissertations Publishing, Columbus 1986.
- Jeremy Rapport: Becoming unity: The making of an American religion. ProQuest Dissertations Publishing, Bloomington, 2010, ISBN 978-1-124-35551-1 .