Ágel studied German, Lusitan and geography at the Eötvös Loránd University (ELTE) from 1978 to 1984 for teaching at grammar schools. In 1988 he received his doctorate with the thesis “Thoughts on the theory and method of historical-synchronous valence syntax and valence lexicography” at the ELTE Budapest; In 1997 he completed his habilitation with the Venia legendi "Ars grammaticae" also at the ELTE Budapest.
From 2000 to 2004 Ágel was a professor at the German Institute of the University of Szeged , and since 2004 he has been the professor for German linguistics and system-oriented linguistics at the University of Kassel .
Ágel has also been co-editor of the Zeitschrift für Germanistische Linguistik (ZGL) since 2004 .
Ágel's main research areas are syntax theory , the history of the German language , junction theory, and proximity and distance language. An important project under his direction is the New High German Grammar (1650–2000), the last missing German language level grammar.
In the area of valence theory in particular , Ágel is one of the leading scientists and has presented a standard work with his valence theory.
- Awarded the Friedrich Wilhelm Bessel Research Prize by the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation (2004)
- Grammatical text analysis. Parts of text, parts of sentences, parts of phrases . De Gruyter, Berlin, Boston 2017, ISBN 978-3-11-036090-5 .
- Valence theory . Narr, Tübingen 2000.
- with Mathilde Hennig (ed.): Proximity and distance in the context of variation linguistic research . Berlin, New York 2010, ISBN 978-3-11-022086-5 .
- with Mathilde Hennig (Ed.): Approaches to the grammar of spoken language . Niemeyer, Tübingen 2007, ISBN 978-3-484-31269-2 .
- with Mathilde Hennig (Ed.): Grammar from closeness and distance. Theory and practice using the example of sewing texts 1650–2000 . Niemeyer, Tübingen 2006, ISBN 3-484-64033-2 .
- with others (ed.): Dependenz und Valenz. An international handbook of contemporary research .
- Grammar and literature. Grammatical authenticity in Kehlmann, Timm, Liebmann, Handke, Strittmatter and Ruge. In: C. Brinker-von der Heyde, et al. (Ed.): Authenticity. On the relationship between language, speakers and the world. De Gruyter, Berlin, Boston 2015, pp. 159–174.
- Explosive objects. On the valence-theoretical integrability of constructions. In: S. Engelberg, et al. (Ed.): Argument structure between valence and constructions. Empirical theory - application. Conference at the University of Santiago de Compostela 26. – 28. September 2012. Narr, Tübingen 2015, pp. 61–87.
- Bastian Sick and the grammar. An unequal duel. In: Info DaF 35, 2008, pp. 64–84.
- Syntax of New High German up to the middle of the 20th century. In: W. Besch, et al. (Ed.): History of language. A handbook on the history of the German language and its research. De Gruyter, Berlin, Boston 2015, pp. 1855–1903.
- Literature by and about Vilmos Ágel in the catalog of the German National Library
- Homepage of Vilmos Ágel
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Hungarian linguist and Germanist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||February 11, 1959|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Budapest|