World Red Cross Day
The World Red Cross and Red Crescent Day , often referred to as World Red Cross Day for short , is an unofficial international commemoration and holiday. It is celebrated annually on May 8th , the birthday of Henry Dunant , the founder of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement .
The origins of this commemoration and holiday go back to 1921. Alice Masaryková suggested that we think about whether the medieval idea of “ Treuga dei ” (God's peace) could be applied. At that time there were internal political conflicts in the Czechoslovak Republic . On Easter 1922, the Czechoslovak Red Cross Society declared a three-day ceasefire. These days were called “Trêve de la Croix-Rouge” (Red Cross Peace). During this time, the press refrained from making any polemical statements; instead, more and more reports on the Red Cross peace were published. This gave rise to the idea of celebrating a day of peace every year.
The Czechoslovak Red Cross Society proposed to implement this idea worldwide. At the XIV. International Red Cross Conference ( Brussels , 1930) a commission was set up to examine the possible benefits of such a "Red Cross Peace". This commission then recommended the XV. International conference in Tokyo in 1934 to expand related activities at the international level. On the XVI. At the 1938 International Conference in London it was decided to celebrate one day each year as an initiative for peace.
Due to the beginning of the Second World War , however, this decision was initially not implemented. After the end of the war, this idea was discussed again in 1946 at a meeting of the Board of Directors of the League of Red Cross Societies. Two years later, with the approval of the Executive Committee of the League, Henry Dunant's birthday was celebrated for the first time as "International Day of the Red Cross". It was later called "World Red Cross Day" and subsequently renamed several times until it was given its current name in 1984.
- Dieter Riesenberger : For humanity in war and peace. The International Red Cross 1863–1977. Vandenhoeck & Ruprecht, Göttingen 2001, ISBN 3-525-01348-5 .
- O. Dorazil: La Trêve de la Croix-Rouge. In: Revue Internationale de la Croix-Rouge et Bulletin international des Sociétés de la Croix-Rouge, Volume 9, Issue 103, July 1927, pages 483-496.
- Dieter Riesenberger: For humanity in war and peace. The International Red Cross 1863–1977. Göttingen 2001, page 145
- Resolution II. In: Revue Internationale de la Croix-Rouge et Bulletin international des Sociétés de la Croix-Rouge, Volume 12, Issue 142, page 844
- Resolution XXII. In: Revue Internationale de la Croix-Rouge et Bulletin international des Sociétés de la Croix-Rouge, Volume 16, Issue 191, page 891
- Resolution XXIV. In: Revue Internationale de la Croix-Rouge et Bulletin international des Sociétés de la Croix-Rouge, Volume 20, Issue 235, page 646