Yana Peel (born June 1974 in St. Petersburg , Russia) is a British businesswoman, investor, philanthropist and author. She was a member of the Forum of Young Global Leaders . From 2016 to June 2019 she was director of the Serpentine Galleries in London .
life and career
Yana Peel was born in Russia and grew up in Canada. She studied at McGill University in Montreal and as a postgraduate at the London School of Economics . She started her professional career at Goldman Sachs .
In 2003 she left Goldman Sachs. In the same year she founded the charitable foundation Outset Contemporary Art Fund together with Candida Gertler, member of the Tate International Council . Outset financially supports leading institutions in the field of fine arts, art exhibitions, scholarship and exchange programs for artists, book publications, catalogs, etc. The projects are selected after advice from a global network of curators . Outset has sponsored projects in England, Germany, India, Israel, the Netherlands, Greece, Scotland and the United States. In recognition of their commitment in connection with the establishment of the Outset Contemporary Art Fund, the Montblanc Cultural Foundation presented Candida Gertler and Yana Peel with the Montblanc de la Culture Arts Patronage Award Great Britain on June 30, 2010 in London.
Yana Pell is a member of the Board of Directors of several British organizations such as the Tate Executive Council , the British Fashion Council and has a seat on advisory boards of several institutions such as the Asia Art Archive and the VAC Foundation, Moscow.
In 2016, Yana Peel was appointed chief executive of the Serpentine Galleries in London . She resigned from her position as GEO in June 2019 when The Guardian announced that she is a co-owner of the Israeli spyware company NSO Group , whose software is also used by authoritarian regimes to spy on dissidents.
Yana Peel has published three children's books: Art for Baby (2009), Color for Baby (2013) and Faces For Baby (2014). She is married to the British businessman Stephen Peel (* 1965). The couple have two children.
- Intelligence squared. Yana Peel. Board of Directors, Intelligence Squared Group
- Yana Peel. On the Business of Art, Artivism, Innovation and Much More. Interview with Susan Liautaud
- Yana Peel & Candida Gertler ArtReview, accessed on April 16, 2016
- Outset , accessed on 15 April 2016th
- Patron of Art Edition 2010 Elizabeth I - United Kingdom.Retrieved April 16, 2016.
- Yana Peel Named CEO of Serpentine Galleries in: ArtAsiaPacific, 2116, accessed April 16, 2016
- Theguardian.com: Serpentine Galleries chief resigns in spyware firm row
- Alex Greenberger: Galleries CEO Yana Peel Is Indirect Owner of Company with Stake in Controversial Tech Firm Artnews, June 15, 2019
- Top TPG Dealmaker Stephen Peel to Leave Firm , accessed April 16, 2016.
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||British businesswoman, investor, philanthropist and author|
|DATE OF BIRTH||June 1974|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||St. Petersburg , Russia|