The alloys commonly used today (ZL0400, ZL0410 and ZL0430) were developed at the beginning of the 1930s together with the zinc die-casting process. Since then, the composition of these alloys has hardly changed.
Since all of these alloys contain 4% aluminum, they are also referred to as the “ZnAl4% family”. Other components are 1 to 3% copper and 0.035 to 0.06% magnesium. The term Zamak is composed of the initials of the alloy constituents: Z ink A luminium Ma gnesium K upfer; therefore the alloys of the ZnAl4% family are also known under the name Zamac in the French and Anglo-Saxon language areas .
For special areas of application, such as very thin-walled casting or special surface properties, new zinc die-cast alloys have been developed in recent years (e.g. Superloy ).
Use and use
More than 95% of the zinc alloys processed today are used in the hot chamber die casting process. In this process - in contrast to the cold chamber process - the casting piston and casting chamber, which form the injection mechanism, are submerged in the liquid metal in the crucible. However, this is only possible for materials or alloys that have a low melting point. Other common processes (centrifugal casting, permanent mold and sand casting, cold chamber processes) represent only a small and insignificant part.
Until 1997, the respective national standards applied in the EU countries. In Germany this was DIN 1743 (part 1: zinc alloys, part 2: zinc die-cast parts). With the introduction of the European standards EN 1774 (zinc alloys) and EN 12844 (zinc die castings), the various names of zinc alloys and their chemical compositions have been simplified.
Other international standards:
- Zinc alloys: EN1774, ASTM B240, ISO 301, AS1881, JIS H2201
- Zinc (die) castings: EN12844, ASTM B86, AS1881, JIS H5301
ZL0400 / ZL3 / ZnAl4
- for alloys: Z400, ZL0400, ZL3, ZnAl4, Zamak 3, AG 40A, Z33521, Z33520
- For zinc (die-cast) parts: ZP3, ZP0400, Zamak 3, ZnAl4, AG 40A
ZL0410 / ZL5 / ZnAl4Cu1
- for alloys: Z410, ZL0410, ZL5, ZnAl4Cu1, Zamak 5, AG 41A, Z35530, Z35531
- For zinc (die-cast) parts: ZP5, ZP0410, Zamak 5, ZnAl4, AG 41A
ZL0430 / ZL2 / ZnAl4Cu3
- for alloys: Z430, ZL0430, ZL2, ZnAl4Cu3, Zamak 2, AG 43A, Z35540, Z35541
- For zinc (die cast) parts: ZP2, ZP0430, Zamak 2, ZnAl4Cu3, AG 43A
- Elvira Moeller: Handbook of construction materials: selection, properties, application. Hanser, Munich 2008, page 482.