Bertha von Andechs
Countess Bertha von Andechs parents were Berthold III. (* approx. 1137; † 1188) and his second wife Luitgard, daughter of King Sven III. from Denmark. Bertha's brother was Poppo von Andechs-Meranien (Bishop of Bamberg 1237-1242, † 1245), she had another five half-siblings from her father's first marriage to Hedwig NN
Bertha was born after 1176 (death of Berthold's first wife Hedwig) and was last mentioned in a document in 1249, an exact year of death is not documented.
Bertha was the abbess of the Gerbstedt Benedictine monastery in the Mansfeld region in what is now Saxony-Anhalt. In the Genealogia Wettinensis from 1216/17 she is already mentioned as abbess, for the last time in 1249 when a ministerial of the monastery agreed to sell . Bertha probably came to the distant monastery in the Mansfeld region because of the close family ties between the Counts of Andechs and the ruling house of the Wettins . Her mother Luitgard was a granddaughter of Margrave Konrad von Meißen , her (half) brother Duke Berthold IV. Of Meranien had married the daughter Agnes of son Dedo of Konrad von Meissen.
The abbess Bertha of the monastery, repeatedly mentioned in the literature in 1190, is likely to be the daughter of Bertha of Margrave Konrad von Meißen (whose daughters Oda and Bertha were abbesses of Gerbstedt according to the Genealogia Wettinensis ). Bertha von Andechs would have been 13 years old at most in 1190.
- Fritz Buttenberg: The monastery of Gerbstedt. In: Journal of the Harz Association for History and Age Studies. Wernigerode 1919, pp. 1-39.
- Edmund Oefele: History of the Counts of Andechs. Innsbruck 1877 (the mention of Bertha on p. 31 and in the family table as early as 1190 should be confused with Abbess Bertha von Meißen).
- Georg Heinrich Pertz: MGH SS 23, Hanover 1874, Genealogia Wettinensis, p. 228 (original written down in 1216/17).
- Philipp Jedelhauser: The descent of Bishop Bruno von Brixen, Count of Kirchberg (Iller), with an excursus on Countess Mathilde von Andechs, wife of Count Engelbert III. von Görz and family table of the Counts of Görz. In: Adler. Journal of Genealogy and Heraldry. Volume 28, Issue 6–7, Vienna, April / September 1216, pp. 277–341, see here pp. 301–303.
- Max Krühne: Document book of the monasteries of the County of Mansfeld. In: Historical Sources of the Province of Saxony. Volume 20, Halle 1888, No. 29, p. 20, Gerbstedt 1249.
- Max Krühne: Document book of the monasteries of the County of Mansfeld. In: Historical Sources of the Province of Saxony. Volume 20, Halle 1888, No. 17, p. 14, 1190.
|SURNAME||Bertha von Andechs|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Abbess of the Benedictine convent Gerbstedt|
|DATE OF BIRTH||between 1176 and 1189|
|DATE OF DEATH||after 1249|