A couleur card is a postcard from a student union that is printed with different couleur elements of the association. The Couleur card came shortly after the introduction of the postcards mid-1860s on, that is an adaptation of student practices to a changing communication patterns. The motifs are derived from this pedigree sheet of the 18th century and the Kneip image from. As a rule, these are coats of arms , compasses , colored strips or shields. Views of the university buildings or the university location are also widespread , but also genre representations from fraternity student life ( pub , dining hall, etc.). Satirical representations, for example of animals in the color of the respective connection, were common in the past, but have become rather rare today.
Color cards are used to send greetings from Association events to people who cannot be there. It is customary to combine the signatures of as many event participants as possible on the card in order to convey an impression of the atmosphere and the success of the event.
The motifs are kept as timeless as possible so that the cards can be used over a longer period of time (cost savings through high circulation). Sometimes, however, cards are specially issued for special events, such as large foundation celebrations or university anniversaries .
Historical as well as contemporary color cards are now a popular collector's item, not only among fraternity students .
- Robert Lebeck (Ed.): Gaudeamus igitur, 80 old postcards collected and edited by Robert Lebeck , Die bibliophilen Taschenbücher, Harenberg Kommunikation, Dortmund 1980, ISBN 3-88379-178-4
- Würzburg color cards. Student life on old and new postcards. A contribution to the four-centenary of the University of Würzburg. Ulrich Becker Verlag, Würzburg 1981.
- Ulrich Becker, Old Student Postcards, with a block of postcards, Callwey Verlag, Munich 1990, ISBN 3-7667-0969-0
- Klaus Neuhaus: Student postcards from Münster. A vivid contribution to the history of Münster students. SH-Verlag, Schernfeld 1993, ISBN 3-923621-99-X
- Helge Dvorak: Introductory words to the color card exhibition. In: Contributions to Austrian Student History, Volume 2, The Lectures of the First Austrian Student History Conference, Vienna 1974
- Peter Krause : The color card. Once and Now, Yearbook of the Association for Corporate Student History Research, Vol. 36 (1991), pp. 159-165.
- Frank Grobe: With fraternity greetings. Color cards of the Rüdesheimer Verband deutscher Burschenschaften , Essen 2011. ISBN 978-3-939413-16-5 .