A company signet is the visual sign of a company or a company in a graphically designed form. It can consist of a graphically designed company lettering, an icon or a combination of the two. A signet is the distinguishing mark of a company, whereas the brand is the distinguishing mark of a product.
The company logo visually distinguishes a company or a company and products marked with it from other similar types. It is used in company communication as a company logo or trademark . Legal trademark protection only arises when the trademark is registered with a patent and trademark office or in individual cases when the trademark is well known.
History of origin
Predecessors of the company logo are medieval house brands and producer and author's marks ( signets ), e.g. B. Masters , guild or trade marks from around 13th century onwards that were family, professional or personal. At the beginning of the 18th century, new manufactory brands of mercantilism emerged as a sign of origin, which were no longer personal, but manufacture-related. At the end of the 18th century the first purely company-related factory brands of early capitalism developed , new or emerged from z. B. Manufactory or master marks. The beginning of industrialization from around 1840 led to a steady increase in factory and industrial brands and their use in print advertising, which was also emerging. The " German Trademark Law " passed in 1894 enabled the development of modern trademarks and the modern company logos of the 20th / 21st centuries. Century.
- Claudius Kohrt: The importance of marking when choosing between manufacturer and private label from the consumer's point of view. Diplomica Verlag, Hamburg 2009, ISBN 978-3-8366-5174-5 .
- Annemarie Meiner: The German Signet - A Contribution to Cultural History - History of the German Signet. In: Journal of the German Association for Books and Literature. Leipzig 1922.
- Umberto Eco: Characters - Introduction to a concept and its history. Edition Suhrkamp, 1977, ISBN 3-518-10895-6 .
- Umberto Eco: Introduction to Semiotics. Fink, Munich 1972, ISBN 3-7705-0633-2 .
- Brand lexicon, brand knowledge from A – Z
- Company signet, The design of a company signet ( Memento from June 17, 2012 in the Internet Archive )
- Duden entry - Signet Retrieved on May 31, 2012.
- Michael Plüschke: Difference: word mark vs. Word / figurative mark October 31, 2014.
- Dissertation, The Power of Brands - Past and Present . University of Regensburg October 2001. Accessed May 31, 2012.