Gebhard J. Selz
In 1998, Gebhard J. Selz, who was employed at the Free University of Berlin at the time, accepted a professorship at the University of Vienna , where he has since been full professor for ancient Semitic philology and oriental archeology at the institute for oriental studies at the university.
Selz has excelled with theories on the development of writing , presented using cuneiform script . Not only did he show a rich creative output, but he also showed an intensive commitment to conveying ancient oriental knowledge to a wider audience. He showed a particular commitment to calls for the preservation of cultural assets in Iraq after the third Gulf War in the USA, including through the symposium “Looting, Destroying, Forgetting: Protection of Cultural Assets in War and World Heritage in Iraq ”.
- Altsumeric administrative texts from Lagas (editor), Steiner, Stuttgart (Freiburg ancient oriental studies, vol. 15)
- Genii and Warriors from Nimrud: Neo-Assyr. Reliefs Assurna.sirpals II. U. Tiglath-Pilesars III. (with Julia M. Asher-Greve), Zurich 1980
- Investigations into the world of gods in the ancient Sumerian city-state of Lagas , Samuel Noah Kramer Fund, Philadelphia 1995 ISBN 0924171006
- Sumerians and Akkadians. History, society, culture , CH Beck, Munich 2005 (CH Beck knowledge ) ISBN 340650874X
- Literature by and about Gebhard J. Selz in the catalog of the German National Library
- List of publications and other things on the university website
- Reading sample "Sumerians and Akkadians" by Gebhard J. Selz
|SURNAME||Selz, Gebhard J.|
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Selz, Gebhard|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German ancient orientalist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||May 18, 1950|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Freiburg|