From 1959 to 1967, Best attended the Kreuzgasse high school in Cologne. He then studied sociology, history, political science and economics at the University of Cologne from 1967 to 1973 . In 1977 he received his PhD in history here. Best completed his habilitation in 1987 at the University of Cologne with the text Structure and Action of Parliamentary Leading Groups in Germany and France 1848/49. From 1987 to 1992 he was professor in Cologne, from 1990 to 1994 Scientific Director of the Information Center for Social Sciences (IZ) in Bonn and since 1992 has taught sociology at the Friedrich Schiller University in Jena . His areas of work are: political sociology , historical sociology , social structure analysis, method research and research on elites, especially on elites in the face of systemic change.
Since 2012 he has headed the Thuringia Monitor, an annual representative population survey on political culture in Thuringia that has taken place since 2000. He is a member of the board of directors at KomRex - Center for Right-Wing Extremism Research, Democracy Education and Social Integration at the FSU Jena.
- Interest politics and national integration 1848/49. Trade policy conflicts in early industrial Germany. (= Critical Studies in History , Vol. 37). Vandenhoeck & Ruprecht, Göttingen 1980, ISBN 978-3-525-35994-5 .
- The members of the Assemblée Nationale Constituante 1848/49. Social profile and legislative behavior. Center for Historical Social Research, Cologne 1983, ISBN 3-923876-01-7 .
- with Wilhelm Weege: Biographical Handbook of the Members of the Frankfurt National Assembly 1848/49. Droste, Düsseldorf 1996, ISBN 978-3-7700-5193-9 .
- with Everhard Holtmann : departure of the unsecured society. Germany after reunification. Campus Verlag, Frankfurt am Main 2012, ISBN 978-3593397740 .
- Literature by and about Heinrich Best in the catalog of the German National Library
- Personal homepage at the University of Jena with a list of publications
- Heinrich Best: mandate without power. Structural problems of German parliamentarism .
- Thuringia Monitor . Institute for Sociology, Empirical Social Research and Social Structure Analysis, University of Jena.
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German sociologist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||June 10, 1949|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Cologne|