Jean Favier (born April 2, 1932 in Paris - † August 12, 2014 ) was a French medievalist .
As a former student of the École nationale des chartes , he worked as an archivist , teacher and writer. From 1975 to 1994 he was General Director of the Archives de France , and from 1994 to 1997 President of the Bibliothèque nationale de France . He also appeared on the radio, especially at France Inter as the presenter of the program Question pour l'Histoire . Favier received some honors. He received the Grand Cross of the Legion of Honor and the Ordre national du Mérite and was commander of the Ordre des Palmes Académiques , the Ordre des Arts et des Lettres and the Order of the Oak Crown and an officer of the Federal Cross of Merit .
He died on August 12, 2014 in Paris of complications from cancer.
De l'or et des épices, naissance de l'homme d'affaires au Moyen âge , éditions Fayard, Paris 1987.
- German translation: Gold and Spices. The rise of the merchant in the Middle Ages , Junius, Hamburg 1992, ISBN 3-88506-195-3 .
L'univers de Chartres , Editions Bordas, Paris 1988.
- German translation: The universe of Chartres. The Notre-Dame Cathedral , Kohlhammer, Stuttgart 1989, ISBN 3-17-010648-1 .
La France féodale , le Grand livre du mois, Paris 1995.
- German translation: France in the age of feudal rule 1000–1515 , Deutsche Verlags-Anstalt, Stuttgart 1989, ISBN 3-421-06452-0 .
- Literature by and about Jean Favier in the catalog of the German National Library
- short biography on the website of the Académie des inscriptions et belles-lettres
- ↑ L'historien médiéviste Jean Favier est mort. Le Monde, August 16, 2014, accessed August 17, 2014 .
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||French Medievalist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||April 2, 1932|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Paris|
|DATE OF DEATH||August 12, 2014|