Local politics comprises political work in local authorities at the local level of the municipalities and cities . This includes in particular all aspects of so - called self - administration . Local politics is often referred to as the type of politics and administration closest to the people, in which local participation can be taken and decisions made.
In a broader sense, municipal policy also includes administrative cooperation between the municipalities as well as the entirety of the political relationships at this level to higher political levels up to and including the state as a whole . Furthermore, international relationships between municipalities and other foreign or supranational political actors play an increasingly important role in local politics.
The local politics is defined by constitutional law
"The right of a municipality to regulate its affairs within the framework of the state order."
- Siegfrie Frech: Local politics : local politics. Stuttgart 2018.
- Herbert Klemisch, Gerald Munier, Wolfgang Pohl, Monika Scheffler, Reiner Schiller-Dickhut (eds.): Handbook for alternative local politics. Bielefeld 1994.
- Local politics in Germany
- Local administrative unit (European concept of the local level)
- European Union regional policy
- Local law
- Magazine of the Austrian Association of Local Authorities for local politicians