In his youth he was very interested in violin , mathematics and science. In 1951, he graduated from Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México with degrees in physics and mathematics. This scientific and musical background can also be found in many of his pictures, which contain geometric shapes and a kind of “mathematical straightforwardness”.
In 1969 he was awarded the Palme d'Or des Beaux Arts in Monaco. Leonardo Nierman has been exhibited in a variety of galleries and museums around the world, including the Tel Aviv Museum of Art in Israel and the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston, Massachusetts.
- Edward Lucie Smith: Leonardo Nierman. 1987-1994. Painting / Sculpture / Tapestry . Schwabe, Karp Mitaspein, Basel 1994, ISBN 970-91356-0-0 (Spanish, English, French).
- Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México Museo Universitario Contemporáneo de Arte (ed.): Nierman: Genesis De UN Sueno . Self-published, Mexico 1996, ISBN 968-36-5650-1 (Spanish, English, French).
- Literature by and about Leonardo Nierman in the catalog of the Ibero-American Institute of Prussian Cultural Heritage, Berlin
- Homepage of Leonardo Nierman
- Leonardo Nierman at artnet.de
- Project Leonardo Nierman on the homepage of Prof. Paul Rich
- Page no longer available , search in web archives: Leonardo Nierman ) on Latino Arts Inc. (English) (
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Nierman, Leonardo M.|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Mexican artist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||November 1, 1932|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Mexico city|