The Long Museum ( Chinese 龙 美术馆 , Pinyin Lóng Měishùguǎn ) is a private museum in the People's Republic of China . The owner is the Chinese tycoon Liu Yiqian. The museum with two houses in Shanghai and three exhibition floors in the Guohua Financial Center in Chongqing , the largest city in China, houses the art collection of the couple Liu Yiqian and Wang Wei.
Long Museum Pudong
The Shanghai museum, designed by Chinese designer and architect Zhong Song , opened on December 18, 2012. The museum is run by Liu Yiqian's wife, Wang Wei. The house has a total area of 10,000 m² on four floors.
The rooms on the ground floor with the reading room, library and auditorium serve u. a. the museum's educational work of the house. Contemporary Chinese art is shown on the first floor. The usual rooms accessible to the public, such as the museum café and shop, are also located here. The permanent exhibition on the third floor shows modern Chinese art, from the Yan'an period through the Cultural Revolution to the modernization of China since the 1980s.
Long Museum West Bund
The Long Museum West Bund is located in the center of the West Bund Culture Corridor in the Binjiang - Xuhui District in Shanghai. It was designed by the architect Liu Yichun from the Chinese architecture firm Atelier Deshaus ./The building covers an area of 33,000 m², 16,000 m² of which is exhibition space. The director of the museum is also Wang Wei.
- 2017 James Turrell - Immersive Light .
- 2017/18: Asian Impression: Chinese, Japanese and South Korean Contemporary Art Exhibition
Long Museum Chongqing
The collector couple maintains another museum in the city of Chongqing , where they exhibit parts of their collections. Wang Wei is also the director of the museum. The museum, with a floor area of 12,000 m², is housed on three floors of the Guohua Financial Center, which is owned by Liu Yiqian and also houses banks and insurance companies. The museum opened on July 22, 2016 with an exhibition by Ólafur Elíasson . On the rather unusual location of the museum in a financial center, Liu Yiqian said:
- “China's elites need a solid art concept. It is vital to establish an art museum in a financial center ” .
The exhibition concept does not differ significantly from the two buildings in Shanghai: Traditional Chinese art, Chinese art from the time of the revolution, contemporary European and Chinese art are shown. There are also objects from the Sichuan region .
- Christie's; Art World News, November 10, 2015
- Long Museum , accessed January 24, 2017.
- Atelier Deshaus / Long Museum Westbund. Floor plan, picture gallery accessed on January 28, 2017
- archdaily: Long Museum Westbund / studio Deshaus , accessed on 24 January 2017th
- The Art Newspaper , accessed January 12, 2017.
- "China's elites need a strengthened concept of art. It is of vital importance to put an art museum in the financial center. ”Quoted from Lisa Movius: Chongqing today, Wuhan tomorrow: Long Museum In: The Art Newspaper, June 3, 2016, accessed on January 24, 2017