Mercedes Helnwein was born in Vienna as the daughter of the Austrian artist Gottfried Helnwein . She lived in Vienna until 1985, after which she moved to Germany with her family . Since 1997 she has lived in Tipperary in Ireland and in downtown Los Angeles .
She wrote and drew from a very early age. When she was 13, the German feminist magazine Emma published her comic The Men Strike Back . In her pictorial work, Mercedes Helnwein primarily devotes herself to large-format drawings with pencil, colored pencil, ink and pastel on paper. However, she also works in watercolor and oil techniques.
In her videos she deals with topics similar to those in her drawings: people in absurd and mysterious situations, often together with other people, to whom they seem to be related in a disturbing and indecipherable way.
In 2004 she founded Devils Porchlight Press together with the American artist Alex Prager . After several short stories and short stories, her novel The Potential Hazards of Hester Day was published by Simon & Schuster in New York in 2008 .
Mercedes Helnwein is represented by the following galleries: Blackston Gallery, New York, Merry Karnowsky Gallery, Los Angeles , The Shooting Gallery, San Francisco , Pool Gallery , Berlin and Bespoke Gallery, Dublin . Your literary work is represented by: Literary agency Ed Victor Ltd., London and Fletcher & Company, New York.
In March 2010 Damien Hirst acquired all of the works in her exhibition Whistling Past the Graveyard at A Gallery in London.
- The Universal Cure , narrative
- Devil Got Religion , narrative
- Frank , short story
- The Potential Hazards of Hester Day , Roman, Simon & Schuster, New York, 2008. ISBN 1416574662
- The Book of Disquiet, (an immoral drama) , Devil's Porchlight Press; 2005
- Whistling Past the Graveyard , video
- East of Eden , video
- Faking It , Video
- Love is a Dog , colored pencil on paper
- Drawings , Studio Jason Lee, Los Angeles, 2003, solo exhibition
- America Motel , installation, America Motel, Los Angeles, 2004
- In America Now , Omelveny Gallery, West Hollywood, USA, 2004, group exhibition
- Last Chapter of Dreaming , South Tipperary Art Center, Ireland, 2006, solo exhibition
- Amazing Grace , Pool Gallery, Berlin, 2006, solo exhibition
- Young Guns , (curated by The Shooting Gallery), Sundance Film Festival, Park City, USA, 2006, group exhibition
- Beyond Representation , (curated by Shawn Barber) Scion Dashboard Gallery, San Francisco, 2006, group exhibition
- Strange Days , Pool Galerie, Berlin, 2007, solo exhibition
- RHA Annual , Royal Hibernian Academy, Dublin, 2007, group exhibition
- Strange Days , Bespoke Gallery, Dublin, 2007, solo exhibition
- Local News , Molesworth Gallery, Dublin, Ireland, 2007, solo exhibition
- Luck of the Draw , Hunsacker / Schlesinger Fine Art Gallery, Santa Monica, USA, 2007, group exhibition
- Whistling Past the Graveyard , Merry Karnowsky Gallery, Los Angeles, 2008, solo exhibition
- We Are the Superlative Conspiracy , Robert Berman Gallery, Santa Monica, USA, 2008, group exhibition
- East of Eden , Merry Karnowsky Gallery, Los Angeles 2009, solo exhibition
- Whistling Past the Graveyard II , Merry Karnowsky Gallery, Los Angeles, 2009, solo exhibition
- It's a Wonderful Life , Randall Scott Gallery, Brooklyn, NY, 2009, group show
- The Potential Hazards of Hester Day , Mercedes Helnwein, Simon & Schuster, New York, 2008 
- Rooms with a view of America's heartland , Los Angeles Times , Jessica Gelt, April 08, 2004 
- Mercedes Helnwein website
- myspace.com Mercedes Helnwein
- Mercedes Helnwein at Simon & Schuster, New York
- Mercedes Helnwein at Pool Gallery Berlin
- Mercedes Helnwein at Merry Karnowsky Gallery Los Angeles
- Art magazine Berlin
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Austrian artist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||November 12, 1979|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Vienna|