Ningirsu was the son of the god Enlil , in the city of Lagaš the main god An was considered his father. He was the husband of the goddess Baba and brother among others of the gods Nanna , Nanše and Nisaba . On the one hand he was a god of hunting and war , but on the other hand a god of fertility responsible for agriculture . His symbol was the lion-headed eagle Imdugud .
- Helmut Freydank u. a .: Lexicon of the Old Orient. Egypt * India * China * Western Asia . VMA-Verlag, Wiesbaden 1997, ISBN 3-928127-40-3 .
- Gwendolyn Leick: A Dictionary of Ancient Near Eastern Mythology . Routledge Chapman & Hall, New York 1998, ISBN 0-415-19811-9
- Brigitte Groneberg : The gods of the Mesopotamia. Cults, myths, epics . Artemis & Winkler, Stuttgart 2004, ISBN 3-7608-2306-8 .
- Gwendolyn Leick: A Dictionary of Ancient Near Eastern Mythology. P. 130
- Nanše is actually not Ningirsu's sister, as she is descended from Enki. However, Gudea explicitly calls it that.