Pedro Juan Gutiérrez
At the age of eleven he began to work as an ice cream and cigarette seller, later worked as a swimming and kayak instructor, as a sugar cane cutter and farm worker, as a construction engineer and technical draftsman. He also served as a soldier in the Cuban Army for five years.
The author of several novels now lives in Havana .
- 2000 Alfonso Garcia-Ramos Prize (Spain) for Animal Tropical .
- 2003 Narrativa Sur del Mundo (Italy) for Not a Little Love .
- Dirty Havana Trilogy ("Trilogía sucia de la Habana", 1999). Verlag Hoffmann & Campe, Hamburg 2002, ISBN 3-455-02543-9 .
- The King of Havana ("El rey de la Habana", 2000). Verlag Hoffmann & Campe, Hamburg 2003, ISBN 978-3-442-45955-1 .
- Animal Tropical. Roman ("Animal tropical", 2000). Verlag Hoffmann & Campe, Hamburg 2004, ISBN 3-455-02545-5 .
- The insatiable spider man ("El insaciable hombre araña", 2002). Verlag Hoffmann & Campe, Hamburg 2006, ISBN 978-3-455-40014-4 .
- Not a bit of love (“Carne de perro”, 2003). Verlag Hoffmann & Campe, Hamburg 2008, ISBN 978-3-455-02549-1 .
- Poesía visual (PDF, 5.88 MB), 5 poetry collages (Spanish), in: Nueva Sociedad November / December 2012
His novel The King of Havana was filmed by the Spanish director Agustí Villaronga with Cuban leading actors and premiered in September 2015. After the Cuban Film Institute refused to apply for permits for Havana, production had to be relocated to locations in the Dominican Republic.
- Official website of Pedro Juan Gutiérrez
- Profile of Pedro Juan Gutiérrez on Havana Cultura (requires Flash)
- Pedro Juan Gutiérrez: "En Cuba empieza a haber apertura literaria" , in El Universal (Venezuela) on November 4, 2013 (Spanish)
- Literature by and about Pedro Juan Gutiérrez in the catalog of the German National Library
- Literature by and about Pedro Juan Gutiérrez in the catalog of the Ibero-American Institute of Prussian Cultural Heritage, Berlin
- As an audio book: The King of Havana . Abridged version. Verlag Hoffmann & Campe Audio, Hamburg 2003 (3 CDs, read by Stephan Benson ).
- 'El rey de La Habana', una película que duele ver. In: Diario de Cuba of September 28, 2015 (Spanish)
|SURNAME||Gutiérrez, Pedro Juan|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Cuban writer, painter, sculptor, poet and journalist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||January 27, 1950|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Matanzas|