He received his doctorate in 1990 on the subject of “Categorically Complex Word Forms” under Horst Sitta and, like him, was a member of the Intergovernmental Commission for German Spelling, which has since been dissolved . Today he is a member of the successor body of the Council for German Spelling for Switzerland . Until September 2017 he held the chair for contemporary German language (grammar) at the Friedrich Schiller University Jena , after which he was senior professor at this university (until September 2019).
Significance for orthography
When defining today's orthography, Gallmann ensured that various words that were not grammatically regarded as nouns and therefore written in lower case, such as "vor", must be capitalized since the reform of German spelling. Like the entire reform, this should simplify writing and reduce the number of errors.
- Graphic elements of the written language . Niemeyer, Tübingen 1985, ISBN 3-484-31060-X .
- Categorically complex word forms . Niemeyer, Tübingen 1990, ISBN 3-484-31108-8 .
- German grammar, together with Horst Sitta, Lehrmittelverlag des Kantons Zürich, Zürich.
- Linguistic motivation: On the interdependence of content and expression , as published by Narr, Tübingen 2007, ISBN 978-3-8233-6302-6 .
- The grammar: Indispensable for correct German, as part of the Duden editorial team, Duden, Volume 4. 8th edition. Dudenverlag, Berlin 2009, ISBN 978-3-4110-4048-3 .
- Literature by and about Peter Gallmann in the catalog of the German National Library
- Personnel page at the University of Jena
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Swiss linguist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||March 31, 1952|