Quartet em Cy
The group was founded in the early 1960s by the four sisters Cyva, Cynara, Cybele and Cylene (de Sá Leite). They initially appeared together with Vinícius de Moraes, Dorival Caymmi , Baden Powell de Aquino and Oscar Castro-Neves in the “ boates ” (small nightclubs) in Rio, and sang mostly bossa nova. Some recordings from this period have been released on the Elenco record label .
In 1966 the group made a successful tour of the USA. After their return to Brazil in 1968, Cynara and Cybele were able to record some successes in duets, including with Chico Buarque and Tom Jobim ; because of an upcoming US tour they had to be replaced by the singers Cynthia and Cymíramis. However, the band split in 1970 in the United States.
In 1972 it was re-founded by the singers Cyva, Cynara, Soninha and Dorinha; Dorinha was replaced by Cybele in 1980. With this line-up, the group is still active with recordings and performances, including with well-known Brazilian artists such as Caetano Veloso , Milton Nascimento , Gonzaguinha , Ivan Lins and Carlos Lyra . The group is particularly popular in Japan, the United States, Latin America, Spain, and Portugal.
- Quarteto em Cy (album, Elenco, 1965)
- Som Definitivo (album, Forma, 1966; together with the Tamba Trio)
- Vinícius e Caymmi no Zum-Zum (Live album, Elenco, 1967)
- Aleluia 1964-66 (Compilation, El records, 2008)
- Enciclopédia da musica brasileira: erudita, folclórica e popular . São Paulo, Art Editora, 2000.