Réseaux IP Européens
The Réseaux IP Européens ( French for European IP networks , RIPE for short ) are a working group in Amsterdam for the coordination of the Internet , which was the origin of the first Regional Internet Registry .
It emerged as a cooperation between the operators of computer networks and the Internet Protocol in Europe for the purpose of creating a pan-European network using this technology. The first chairman was Robert Blokzijl, who worked on networks for physicists like himself. The current chairman since RIPE 68 on May 16, 2014 is Hans Petter Holen.
The founding meeting took place on May 22, 1989. 14 people took part. A network coupling with 64 kBit / s, which was used jointly by EUnet , NORDUnet , HEPnet and EARN , was presented as an example . The start-up funding for the RIPE Network Coordination Center (RIPE NCC) came from the EARN in 1992 . From 1990 to 1992 the RIPE were part of the Réseaux Associés pour la Recherche Européenne (RARE), which initially remained the RIPE NCC.
The RIPE decide by consensus of working groups to make recommendations to the RIPE NCC. Since 1997, participation in RIPE meetings has cost a fee. Since 2001 the conferences have lasted five days. In May 2009, twenty years after the first meeting, around 400 people attended.
- RFC 1181 - RIPE Terms of Reference . Internet Engineering Task Force . September 1990. Retrieved October 9, 2012.
- Robert Blokzijl . Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers . Retrieved October 9, 2012.
- Created: 01 Nov 2013-Last updated: 08 May 2020: RIPE Chair. Retrieved July 1, 2020 .
- Previous RIPE Meetings . RIPE NCC. Retrieved October 9, 2012.
- Minutes . RIPE NCC. May 1989. Retrieved October 9, 2012.
- Attendee List . RIPE NCC. May 1989. Retrieved October 9, 2012.
- The First Year of the RIPE NCC (PDF; 12 KB) RIPE NCC. October 2010. Retrieved October 9, 2012.
- Twenty years of European collaboration in research networking (PDF; 1.08 MB) Trans-European Research and Education Networking Association. June 2006. Retrieved October 9, 2012.
- Policy Development Process in RIPE . RIPE NCC. September 13, 2010. Retrieved October 9, 2012.
- Minutes . RIPE NCC. January 1997. Retrieved October 9, 2012.
- RIPE 58 . RIPE NCC. Retrieved October 9, 2012.