|RSA Security Inc.
Amit Yoran (President)
Arthur W. Coviello, Jr. (Chairman of the Board)
|Number of employees||1144 (as of 2004)|
|Branch||Software and IT services|
RSA Security Inc. is a subsidiary of EMC Corporation that specializes in IT security and is headquartered in Bedford , Massachusetts, USA , with branches in Ireland, Great Britain, Singapore, India and Japan.
RSA organizes the RSA Conference , an annual event on the subject of IT security . The best-known products of the company are the cryptography - Program Library RSA BSafe and the authentication system SecurID .
Rivest, Shamir and Adleman founded RSA Security Inc. in 1982 as RSA Data Security . In April 1996, Security Dynamics Technologies Inc. acquired RSA Data Security from its three founders for $ 251 million . In 1999 the two companies first released a joint product line called Keon and Security Dynamics was renamed RSA Securities Inc.
In mid-2006 it was announced that EMC Corporation would acquire RSA Security for $ 2.1 billion. This acquisition was completed in September 2006. With the acquisition of EMC by Dell Technologies in 2016, RSA Security is now part of the company.
Vulnerabilities in security products
On December 20, 2013, based on the findings of the Snowden documents , Reuters announced that RSA Security Inc. had received $ 10 million from the US National Security Agency to set up a crypto backdoor. The NSA had already exerted influence at the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) to ensure that the controversial random number generator implemented by RSA was declared the standard for crypto applications ( Dual-EC-DRBG standard). In addition to this random number generator, an extension for websites called Extended Random was implemented by RSA Security Inc., with the help of which the breaking of the random number generator can be significantly accelerated.
- Amit Yoran Named RSA President; Art Coviello Remains as RSA Executive Chairman. October 28, 2014, accessed May 12, 2015 .
- RSA Security: Company History. In: answers.com. Retrieved July 3, 2007 .
- EMC Announces Definitive Agreement to Acquire RSA Security, Further Advancing Information-Centric Security. (No longer available online.) In: RSA Security Inc. press release June 22, 2006, archived from the original on September 27, 2007 ; Retrieved July 3, 2007 . Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- EMC Completes RSA Security Acquisition, Announces Acquisition of Network Intelligence. In: EMC News Release. September 18, 2006, accessed April 23, 2008 .
- US Secret Service: NSA bought into Internet security company. In: zeit.de. December 21, 2013, accessed December 9, 2014 .
- Exclusive: Secret contract tied NSA and security industry pioneer. In: Reuters News Release. December 20, 2013, accessed December 21, 2013 .
- NIST has random generators checked again. In: Heise online. Retrieved December 22, 2013 .
- Exclusive: NSA infiltrated RSA security more deeply than thought - study. In: Reuters. March 31, 2014, accessed April 1, 2014 .