Richard J. Eden
Eden received his doctorate in Cambridge under Paul Dirac in 1951 (The classical and quantum mechanics of non-holonomic systems) and received the Smith Prize in 1949. From 1964 to 1982 he was a reader in theoretical physics at Cambridge University and from 1982 to 1989 professor of energy studies.
He was a Fellow of Clare Hall College, Cambridge University . From 1987 to 1999 he was vice president of the college.
Eden was a leading British exponent of the studies of the analytical S matrix in elementary particle physics in the 1960s. In addition to quantum field theory and elementary particle physics, he dealt with nuclear physics and energy issues.
In 1954, 1959, 1973 and 1989 he was at the Institute for Advanced Study .
Eden is OBE (1978) and Fellow of the Institute of Physics . In 1970 he received the Maxwell Medal and in 1989 the Open Award for Distinction in Energy Economics from the British Institute of Energy Economics (BIEE) in London. From 1974 he was on the UK Advisory Committee for Energy Conservation and he was head of the Energy Research Group at Cavendish Laboratories in the 1970s.
- Theory of nuclear models, Phys. Rev., Volume 97, 1955, p. 1366
- The analytic structure of collision amplitudes in perturbation theory, Phys. Rev., Volume 119, 1960, p. 1763
- with Peter Landshoff , David Olive , John Polkinghorne : The analytic S-Matrix, Cambridge UP, 1966, 2002
- Pomeranchuk theorem and the Serpukhov data on total cross sections, Physical Review D, Volume 2, 1970, pp. 529-531
- Theorems on high energy collisions of elementary particles, Reviews of Modern Physics, Volume 43, 1971, pp. 15-35
- with GD Kaiser: Theoretical and experimental consequences of a violation of the pomeranchuk theorem on total cross sections at high energies, Physical Review D, Volume 3, 1971, pp. 2286-2288
- Regge poles and elementary particles, Reports On Progress in Physics, Volume 34, 1971, pp. 995-1053
- with GD Kaiser: Asymptotic properties of scattering amplitudes and their experimental consequences, Nuclear Physics B, Volume 28, 1971, pp. 253-282
- High Energy Collisions of Elementary Particles, Cambridge UP 1967
- World Energy Demand, IPC Science and Technology Press 1978
- Energy Conservation in the UK, in: NEDO Report, London, HMSO 1974
- World energy to 2050. Outline scenarios for energy and electricity Energy Policy, Volume 21, 1993, pp. 231-237
- with RC Bending, RK Cattell: Energy and structural change in the United Kingdom and Western Europe, Annual Review of Energy, Volume 12, 1987, pp. 185-222
- birth according to IAS 1980 membership book
- Entry on IAS
|SURNAME||Eden, Richard J.|
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Eden, Richard; Eden, Richard John|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||British physicist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||1922|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||London|