|description||Subscription weekly newspaper|
|publishing company||Essener Kirchenzeitung Verlagsgesellschaft mbH|
|First edition||April 1, 1959|
|attitude||December 21, 2013|
|Frequency of publication||weekly|
|Sold edition||14,443 copies|
|( IVW Q4 / 2013)|
|Editor-in-chief||Ulrich Engelberg (editor-in-chief at the time of hiring)|
|editor||The Bishop of Essen|
The founding editor was the Viennese journalist Otto Kaspar (1920–2010). Father Johannes Leppich recommended him to the Essen bishop Franz Hengsbach . In 1960 the annual average was around 145,000 copies. Otto Kaspar headed the RuhrWort until 1987.
On December 20, 2012, Vicar General Klaus Pfeffer announced that the diocese newspaper would be discontinued at the end of 2013. The last edition (Vol. 55, No. 51/52) was published on December 19, 2013, dated December 21, 2013.
The RuhrWort was published in the Diocese of Essen with the five additional regional editions of Duisburg, Oberhausen / Mülheim, Gelsenkirchen, Bochum / Ennepe-Ruhr-Kreis / Märkischer Kreis and Bottrop / Gladbeck in the Essener Kirchenzeitung Verlagsgesellschaft mbH , a member publisher of the Catholic Media Association . Advertisements were distributed via KONPRESS-Medien eG , a marketing association of 37 Catholic and Protestant newspapers.
The RuhrWort provided information from a Christian-Catholic perspective on current issues from the Church, society and politics. One focus was the reporting on life and events in the universal church as well as in the local church, regionally with news from the parishes of the diocese of Essen. The usual newspaper columns such as radio and television tips, help in life and features supplemented the content.
The RuhrWort was delivered by messengers who also collected the subscription fee. Delivery by the post office was also possible.
Editor and editor
- Editor: The Bishop of Essen
- Management: Gertrud Stevens
- Publishing director: Gertrud Stevens
- Editor-in-chief: Ulrich Engelberg
After the RuhrWort was discontinued , people associated with the previous church newspaper founded the Neue Ruhr-Wort as a weekly newspaper independent of the diocese of Essen.
Instead of a church newspaper, the diocese of Essen has been sending the free, six times a year magazine BENE to all Catholic households in the diocese since the beginning of 2014; BENE is an artificial word made up of the first letters BE for diocese of Essen and the Italian word bene (good).
- Christian Klenk: The beginning of the end or a special case of the church press? The diocese of Essen discontinues the "RuhrWort" . In: Communicatio Socialis , Vol. 45 (2012), pp. 430-435.
- Former homepage of the weekly newspaper ( Memento from November 6, 2012 in the Internet Archive )
- The newspapers of the Catholic Media Association ( Memento from January 12, 2012 in the Internet Archive )
- Ben Witter : The "Ruhr word" and the professionals . In: Die Zeit of March 13, 1970, p. 72.
- Christian Klenk: The beginning of the end or a special case of the church press? The diocese of Essen discontinues the "RuhrWort" . In: Communicatio Socialis , Jg. 45 (2012), pp. 430-435, here p. 433.
- Press release of the diocese of Essen: "Pacemaker" for the Christians on site. On December 20, 2010, at the age of 90, the first editor-in-chief of the Essen diocese newspaper "Ruhrwort", Dr. Otto Kaspar. January 11, 2011, accessed May 30, 2020.
- RuhrWort will be discontinued at the end of 2013 , accessed on June 21, 2016.
- Ulrich Engelberg: Editorial . In: RuhrWort , December 21, 2013, p. 2.
- neueruhrwort.de . Retrieved June 20, 2016.
- new diocese magazine is called BENE . bistum-essen.de, December 6, 2013; accessed on June 21, 2016.