As a soccer player with Hertha 03 Zehlendorf, Braun became German B youth champion in 1988 and German A youth runner-up in 1990. He studied political science (diploma) as well as sports and educational science (degree: Magister Artium ) at the Free University (FU) Berlin . He also graduated from the University of Nantes with a degree in social sciences. In 1999 he completed a double doctorate at the Free University of Berlin and the University of Nantes and thus obtained the degree of Doctor of Philosophy (Dr. phil.) Or the degree of "Docteur en sociologie" (Doctor of Sociology).
Braun received a scholarship from the German Research Foundation as part of the Emmy Noether Program , completed research stays at the London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE) and at the Center National de la Recherche Scientifique (CNRS) in Paris . From 2000 to 2003 Braun worked as a junior research group leader at the University of Potsdam . In 2001 he was awarded the Otto Wolff von Amerongen Prize for Sports Science. From 2003 to 2009 Braun worked as a professor at the University of Paderborn ; in 2004 he completed his habilitation at the University of Potsdam.
In 2009 he took up a professorship in the Sports Sociology Department of the Institute for Sports Science at the Humboldt University in Berlin . From 2010 to 2012 as well as from 2013 and 2014 he was Managing Director of the Institute for Sports Science.
His research areas include voluntary work, sports clubs and associations, integration, migration, social capital, the promotion of top-class sports and corporate social responsibility.
- Entry on the website of the Institute for Sports Science at the Humboldt University in Berlin
- Newspaper article "Sports sociologist Prof. Dr. Sebastian Braun gives a lecture on the importance of volunteering ”, published in the Lippische Landes-Zeitung on October 1st, 2015
- Entry on the website of the Berlin Institute for Empirical Integration and Migration Research at the Humboldt University in Berlin
- Sebastian Braun: Volunteering in Transition . In: LandInForm: Magazine for rural areas . No. 1 , 2009, ISSN 1866-3176 , p. 14-15 ( bisp-surf.de [accessed December 17, 2018]).
- Sebastian Braun, Rudolf Speth: Between Meier and Club - Modernization Potentials in Honorary Work . In: New Social Movements: Research Journal . tape 17 , no. 1 , 2004, ISSN 0933-9361 , p. 2–8 ( bisp-surf.de [accessed December 17, 2018]).
- Sebastian Braun, Tina Nobis: Migration, Integration and Sport: Local Civil Society (= SpringerLink ). 1st edition VS-Verl. für Sozialwiss., 2011, ISBN 978-3-531-92831-9 ( bisp-surf.de [accessed on December 17, 2018]).
- Sebastian Braun: Social Capital . 2010, ISBN 978-3-7799-0795-4 , pp. S 53-64 ( bisp-surf.de [accessed December 17, 2018]).
- Sports elites are promoted differently in Germany and France . In: University Sports: Magazin des adh . No. 4 , 1999, p. 5 ( bisp-surf.de [accessed December 17, 2018]).
- Sebastian Braun: Companies in Society: "Corporate Citizenship" and the social commitment of companies in Germany . In: Forum Housing and Urban Development: Association organ of the vhw . No. 2 , 2009, ISSN 1867-8815 , p. 59–64 ( bisp-surf.de [accessed December 17, 2018]).
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German sports sociologist and university professor|
|DATE OF BIRTH||1971|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Berlin|