After graduating from Tōhō-Gakuen High School in 1976, he began studying at Tokyo University in the same year . In 1980 he received his bachelor's degree in mathematics there, his master's degree in 1982 and his doctorate in 1985. In 1989 he became an assistant professor at the university, but in 1997 he went to the Tokyo Institute of Technology for a full professorship . From 2000 to 2004 he was at Nagoya University , then again at his alma mater until 2012 and again at the Tokyo Institute of Technology since 2012. He was also a visiting scholar at the University of Nottingham (with Ivan Fesenko ) and at the University of Regensburg (withUwe Jannsen ).
In 1996 he received the Spring Prize of the Japanese Mathematical Society .
In 2010 he was invited speaker at the International Congress of Mathematicians in Hyderabad (Cohomological Hasse principle and motivic cohomology of arithmetic schemes) on work on the cohomological Hasse principle (Katō's conjectures on his generalization of the Hasse principle).
- Recent Progress on the Kato conjecture , in Quadratic forms, linear algebraic groups, and cohomology , Developments in Mathematics, Volume 18, 2010, pp. 109-124
- Editor with B. Brent Gordon, James D. Lewis, Stefan Müller-Stach , Noriko Yui: The arithmetic and geometry of algebraic cycles (Proc. CRM Summer School, 1998, Banff), American Mathematical Society 2000 (in it by Sato: Motives, Algebraic Cycles and Hodge theory , pp. 235-253) and the same as editor at NATO Advanced Summer Institute (Banff 1998), Springer Verlag / Kluwer 2000 (in it by Saito: Motives and filtrations on Chow groups II )
- Motives and Filtrations on Chow groups , Inventiones Mathematicae, Volume 125, 1996, pp. 149-196
- Arithmetic theory on an arithmetic surface , Annals of Mathematics, Volume 129, 1989, pp. 547-589
- Some observations on motivic cohomologies of arithmetic schemes , Inventiones Mathematicae, Volume 98, 1989, pp. 371-414
- Arithmetic on two dimensional local rings , Inventiones Mathematicae, Volume 85, 1986, pp. 379-414
- with K. Kato: Global class field theory of arithmetic schemes , Contemporary Mathematics, Volume 55, 1986, pp. 255–331
- Unramified class field theory of arithmetical schemes , Annals of Mathematics, Volume 121, 1985, pp. 251-281
- Class field theory for curves over local fields , Journal Number Theory, Volume 21, 1985, pp. 44-80
- with K. Kato: Unramified class field theory of arithmetical surfaces , Annals of Mathematics, Volume 118, 1985, pp. 241-275
- Shūji Satō: 経 歴 . 2012, Retrieved October 9, 2012 (Japanese).
- The first publication was Kato, S. Saito: Two dimensional class field theory , in: Galois groups and Their Representations , Advanced Studies in Pure Math. 2 (1983), 103–152
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||斎 藤 秀 司 (Japanese)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Japanese mathematician|
|DATE OF BIRTH||October 16, 1957|