University of Regensburg
|University of Regensburg|
|Students||21167 (winter semester 2019/20)|
|including professors||267 (2019)|
|Networks||DFH , CGU , MGU|
The University of Regensburg (UR) is an in Regensburg is moved Bavarian comprehensive university with approximately 21,160 students enrolled in winter semester 2019/20.
The University of Regensburg is a comprehensive university with 11 faculties , 199 chairs and a wide range of courses. Initially planned as a regional university in the 1960s, it has now developed into a center for research and teaching that is known throughout Germany . Due to its geographical location in south-east Germany, the University of Regensburg sees itself as a bridge between east and west; This self-image is expressed by institutions such as the Europaeum and the Leibniz Institute for East and Southeast European Studies (IOS); On January 1, 2017, the IOS was admitted to the Leibniz Association . Another focus is on teacher training: around a third of all students are enrolled in teacher training courses . The bridge function is also very well expressed in the seal of the university, which is based on a historicizing representation of the stone bridge in Regensburg.
The University of Regensburg sees its central task in the responsible exercise of research and teaching that takes into account both academic freedom and the major questions and problems of our time. According to the mission statement of the university, an essential goal of the educational mandate is to impart key qualifications , including above all intercultural competence , communication and cooperation skills and responsible behavior in society.
Faculties and courses of study
The university is divided into eleven faculties:
- Catholic theology
- Medicine (with affiliated university clinic and other hospitals in and around the city)
- Philosophy , art , history and social sciences
- Human sciences
- Linguistics , literature and cultural studies
- Biology and Preclinical Medicine
- Chemistry and pharmacy
In the Faculty of Physics of the will within Elitenetzwerk Bayern since the summer semester 2015 in addition to conventional academic degrees in conjunction with the University of Erlangen an open to candidates of all universities after the second or third semester "Research Program in Physics" offered via a Bachelor - and Master's degree leads directly (and particularly quickly) to a doctorate in around seven years .
The university was founded on July 10, 1962 by resolution of the Bavarian State Parliament (Mittelbayerische Zeitung of July 11, 1962): A university with fully developed research and teaching was to be established in Regensburg. As the fourth state university in Bavaria, it was supposed to fulfill two main tasks: relieving the burden on the existing Bavarian universities and developing the "talent reserves" in the Eastern Bavaria region . Götz Freiherr von Pölnitz was appointed the founding rector, but he had to resign in 1965 because of his involvement in National Socialism .
In the years that followed, the university was gradually built up until Franz Mayer was elected as the first Regensburg rector in the summer of 1967 and teaching could begin on November 6, 1967. Initially, the Regensburg University had 661 students and 35 professors in three faculties. The Faculty of Law and Economics as well as the Faculty of Philosophy have already been able to guarantee full study operations. The Philosophical-Theological University of Regensburg , founded in 1923 , previously an episcopal lyceum , became part of the Regensburg University and formed the basis for the development of the theological faculty. The Regensburg University of Education , which was founded in 1958 and previously belonged to the University of Munich , was also incorporated.
With the start of teaching, a long-cherished wish for the city of Regensburg came true: as early as 1487, Duke Albrecht IV of Bavaria, together with the city council, submitted a petition to the Pope , which was intended to order the establishment of a university in Regensburg. Despite the papal agreement, the project failed at the time due to the economic situation, but the idea of founding a university remained relevant in the later centuries.
Protests and occupation in 2009 and 2010
On November 17th, as part of the “ National Education Strike 2009 ” day of action, lecture hall 2 at the University of Regensburg was occupied by 1,700 students to point out the grievances in many courses and in the entire German education system . After an ultimatum from the university management, the students vacated the two lecture halls that were now occupied at the end of December, especially because of the closure of the university (drastic lowering of the heating, etc.) between December 23, 2009 and the reopening only after January 6, 2010 Occupation would not have been appropriate anyway.
On January 7, 2010, the students took possession of both lecture halls again and in the meantime moved into the administration building , where they stayed until March 2, 2010. The chairman of the Senate - Professor Uwe Jannsen , Mathematics - had promised to work for the abolition of the compulsory attendance and the extension of the study period .
In 2011, on the evening of November 16, another 60 students occupied the administration building with sofas, sleeping mats and sleeping bags, which they cleared the next day.
Architecture and renovation
It took more than a decade to build the university, from the laying of the foundation stone in 1965 to the completion of the last faculty building for the time being in 1978. Although the uniformly used material exposed concrete and the system construction make the building complex look like a single piece at first glance, the designs work of the individual building parts can be traced back to a number of architects, including Heinle, Wischer and Partner as well as von Branca and Ackermann .
Since its completion, the architecture of the University of Regensburg has been showing its age, its building fabric has suffered greatly from the effects of the weather and wear and tear, and serious structural defects have emerged. In 2008, however, the Bavarian state government pledged a total of 400 million euros (spread over a period of ten years) for the urgently needed renovation of the University of Regensburg, and there have also been some remarkable new buildings (see below). As early as 2006, due to the improved budget situation, the first renovation work could begin, the positive effects of which are now visible. The two-year refurbishment of the cafeteria, which was completely gutted and equipped with new kitchen and building technology, was completed in April 2010.
In order to cope with the increasing number of students at the university, a new office and lecture hall building was built in 2009/10 on the campus north of the law faculty with the " Vielberth Building" of the Institute for Real Estate Management. 9 million euros and the university's foundation with 3.0 million euros. This building - four-story and partly with timeless wooden grating à la Alvar Aalto - also shows the progress in architecture since the construction of the first building of the university. The architects from Frankfurt Ferdinand Heide planned Vielberth building was designed by the "German University Foundation" of the first ever "2012 German university construction price excellent." The university's central bus stop, which was completed in 2013, was awarded the 2013 German Architecture Prize.
In the years 2010 to 2014, another building complex was built as an alternative building for the natural sciences for 70.15 million euros. Work on the renovation of the forum and the West underground car park began in June 2018.
Art on campus
The members of the University of Regensburg encounter art on all routes, in the lecture hall buildings, on the way to the cafeteria, but also on the borders of the campus, grown into nature. If you stroll around the campus with open eyes, you can discover works by well-known artists, a few of which are exemplary: Horst Antes , Wolfgang Bier , Hermann Kleinknecht , Fritz Koenig or Herbert Peters . Paused movement by Hermann Kleinknecht, for members of the university Die Kugel has not only become the central point of orientation of the campus, but - visible on the university's logo - has become a kind of landmark and object of identification.
Walkable cube , Helmut Langhammer , Granit, 1978
The university has gained national and international recognition through the creation of inter-faculty, subject-specific focuses in cultural studies , economics and information science as well as life and nano-sciences . Documentation by the German Research Foundation (DFG) in 2009 also gave physics a top position in research (1st place in Bavaria, 3rd place in Germany). In the field of humanities and cultural sciences, the University of Regensburg's focus on Eastern European and Southeastern European studies has been further expanded by the Graduate School for East and Southeastern European Studies (DFG GS 1046) established in November 2012 in cooperation with the Ludwig Maximilians University of Munich.
On March 13, 2019, the DFG awarded the Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz Prize, endowed with 2.5 million euros, to Rupert Huber, holder of the Chair of Experimental and Applied Physics at the University of Regensburg.
At the University of Regensburg there are currently (February 2020) the following research groups funded by the DFG:
Collaborative Research Centers (SFBs):
- SFB 960 The Formation of Ribosomes: Basics of RNP Biogenesis and Control of Their Function
- SFB 1085 Higher Invariants - Interactions between Arithmetic Geometry and Global Analysis
- SFB 1277 Emergent Relativistic Effects in Condensed Matter: From Fundamental Aspects to Electronic Functionality
- SFB 1350 Tubular system and interstitium of the kidney: (Patho-) physiology and crosstalk
- SFB / TR 55 Hadron Physics with Lattice QCD (together with Bern, Graz and Wuppertal)
- SFB / TR-221 Control of graft-versus-host and graft-versus-leukemia immune reactions after allogeneic stem cell transplantation
Priority programs (participations):
- SPP 1538 Spin-Caloric Transport (Spokesperson University of Regensburg)
- SPP 1656 Role of bactericidal permeability increasing protein (BPI)
- SPP 1666 Topological Isolators
- SPP 1578 Financial Markets and Macroeconomic Development
- SPP 1786 Homotopy Theory and Algebraic Geometry
- SPP 1859 Saving and Living. The grain box of the St. Katharinenspital
- SPP 1772 Influence of sequentially changing reward expectations on cognitive flexibility
- SPP 1935 beta propeller domains as new RNA binding modules
- SPP 2026 Geometry in Infinity
- SPP 1991 Taxon Omics
- SPP 1807 Investigation of the configuration of van der Waals complexes
- SPP 1784 Investigations on RNA-specific base modification processes
Research Training Groups:
- GRK 1910 Medicinal Chemistry of Selective GPCR Ligands
- GRK 2174 Neurobiology of Emotion Dysfunctions
- GRK 2337 Metropolis in the premodern
- GRK 2339 IntComSin: Boundaries, complex structures and singular limit values in continuum mechanics - analysis and numerics
DFG-funded research groups:
- FOR 1979 Exploring the Dynamical Landscape of Biomolecular Systems by Pressure Perturbation
- FOR 2101 Urban ethics, conflicts about good urban living in the 20th and 21st centuries
- FOR 2127 Selection and Adaptation During Metastatic Cancer Progression
- FOR 2251 Adaptation and persistence of Acinetobacter baumannii, a pathogen of increasing importance
- FOR 2281 Sociality and the Reversal of the Fecundity-Longevity Trade-off
- FOR 2407 Exploring Articular Cartilage and Subchondral Bone Degeneration and Regeneration in Osteoarthritis (ExCarBon)
- FOR 2858 Significance of the translocator protein (18kDa) (TSPO) as a diagnostic and therapeutic target structure in the nervous system
- FOR 2926 Next Generation Perturbative QCD for Hadron Structure: Preparing for the Electron-Ion Collider
- KFO 262 Tumor metabolism as a modulator of the immune response and tumor progression
- KFO 243 Early Immunological Determinants of Late Transplant Outcome
College research group:
- Beyond the Canon: Heterotopias of Religious Authority in Late Antique Christianity (DFG-Kolleg-Forschungsgruppe 2770) ( Tobias Nicklas , Harald Buchinger , Andreas Merkt )
DFG-funded graduate school:
GS 1046 Graduate School for East and Southeast European Studies
Since May 1, 2019, the Leibniz Association has been promoting the Leibniz ScienceCampus “Europe and America in the modern world. Transformations and frictions of globalization in the past and present ”.
Another important focus is "The Medieval Forum of the University of Regensburg", which enables diverse encounters with the Middle Ages . There are currently two interdisciplinary courses within the forum: the master’s course “Cultural History Medieval Studies” and the “Medieval” course unit. The forum organizes an interdisciplinary lecture series every summer semester and a regular annual conference in autumn. Since 2005, the “Forum Medieval Studies” series of publications has been run by the Medieval Forum.
In recent years, Regensburg has also developed into an important biotechnology location. The BioPark , which has existed for several years, is intended to promote cooperation between the private sector and the university in this area. In the buildings that were built after the Faculty of Chemistry and Pharmacy, start-ups work side by side with university facilities such as B. the competence center for fluorescent bioanalysis. In October 2009 the foundation stone for the third BioPark III building was laid. Regensburg was even able to assert itself in a nationwide competition with biosensors.
The IREBS (International Real Estate Business School) located at the university in the Vielberth building (see above ), which has its own institute for real estate management and its own real estate academy, is one of the top international university institutions in the real estate industry. The institute currently comprises ten chairs and professorships as well as 15 honorary and visiting professorships, is sponsored by numerous national and international companies in the real estate industry and has partnerships with Harvard University , the University of Reading (UK) and the University of Hong Kong , among others Enables students to complete a double master’s degree.
FUTUR, the technology transfer office of the university, sees itself as a catalyst between the university and the economy, which aims to make the existing knowledge and innovation potential of the university accessible to interested parties from the economy and to bring practical impulses to the university. The business / science cooperation forum on the Internet also serves this purpose.
Thanks to its focus on current issues, the University of Regensburg enjoys sustained support from companies and institutions in the region and beyond. This is currently reflected in five endowed professorships .
Thanks to its late founding, the university can boast of the youngest and most modern clinic in Europe, which nevertheless quickly gained an excellent reputation in research and teaching. For example, a telemedical focus was established in Regensburg. In the nationwide uniform examination, the human medicine specialists from Regensburg regularly occupy the top places from the start.
In the Bavarian Elite Network , the institution is involved in five elite courses ; in two of them it is the host university. She is also involved in three international doctoral colleges. This makes it one of the most funded universities in this network. The four elite courses are:
- Honors Economics (as the host university)
- Physics (Erlangen-Regensburg), with an integrated doctoral college
- Eastern European Studies
- Advanced Synthesis and Catalysis (Syncat) (as speaker university) https://www.uni-regensburg.de/chemie-pharmazie/fakultaet/studium/chemie/syncat/index.html
The three international doctoral programs are:
- Evidence-Based Economics
- Topological isolators
- Receptor Dynamics: Emerging Paradigms for Novel Drugs
Equality and advancement of women
The university has a coordination office for equal opportunities and family, which among other things promotes female academics. The university successfully participated in the second round of the female professors' program, from which the start-up funding for a W3 professorship and other scholarships are financed.
- In the normalized ranking of the Nature Index, the University of Regensburg took first place among German research institutions for 2018.
- In the "CWTS Leiden Ranking 2018", the university is among the top 500 worldwide ( http://www.leidenranking.com/ )
- In the QS World University Ranking 2016, the university achieved a place in the top 500 worldwide (461–470).
- In the Shanghai ranking of 2015, the University of Regensburg made it into the world's top 500, as in previous years.
- The Center for World University Rankings (CWUR) lists the University of Regensburg in 2018 as 327th in a global comparison.
- In the 2014 Handelsblatt ranking of the best business administration faculties in the German-speaking region, the University of Regensburg made it into the top 25.
Special features and current developments
- The University of Regensburg is the only one in Bavaria to offer additional courses in speech training as well as IT training and supplementary foreign language training.
- Against the background of the history of the city of Regensburg, the Middle Ages Forum has established a mediaeval research focus
- In the summer semester 2007 a media center was set up with the help of tuition fees.
- The University of Regensburg is preparing for increasing international competition through the development of modularized international study programs (such as German-French studies or East-West studies ) and in the course of the Bologna process with the introduction of internationally recognized degrees (BA / MA) and through the Development of further innovative specialist profiles.
- An international quality network for medicinal chemistry deals with the development of new drugs and active ingredients on an interdisciplinary basis .
- Since 2008, the university has been part of the Bavarian Center for Political Theory (BayPol) through the Chair for Political Philosophy and the History of Ideas ( Karlfriedrich Herb , Political Science ).
- At the end of March 2010, the university applied together with the University of Regensburg and the city of Regensburg, which is home to a number of well-known industries, to found a new technical university. In 2013 the latter became the East Bavarian Technical University of Regensburg .
Campus and student life
The university is located - in the form of a closed campus - a little outside the city center on a hill in the south of the city. The campus atmosphere and short distances make it easy to study quickly. The university library also contributes to this ; its holdings include approx. 3.5 million volumes as well as a large number of electronic journals, which are placed in the central library and in eleven branch libraries; computers are also available. The university archive continues to be a central facility . The university has largely been expanded to be handicapped accessible and appropriately equipped residential complexes are also available. South of the university and on the other side of the A3 is the university clinic (full clinic ) - one of the most modern in Europe, expanded by the children's university clinic in East Bavaria - KUNO, which was inaugurated in 2010 .
The university, including the affiliated university hospital, employs around 4,200 people, including 312 professors, and trains around 21,000 students. The leisure offer is enriched by a lively cultural life in the city and on the campus, there are three orchestras, two big bands, a large university choir, a new chamber choir, the a cappella choir Jazznuts, jazz combos, brass groups and others Groups. In the 2008/09 winter semester alone, the university offered around 20 concert evenings. In addition, around a dozen student theater groups are active on campus, for which a separate theater stage is available in the student house.
The spring conference of the German Physical Society on solid-state physics has already been held several times, most recently in March / April 2019 . In order to have enough space for the lectures and presentations of the 5,000 participants, the entire campus, especially all lecture halls including the additional areas, was used.
The main political university groups
In addition to the student councils, the following university groups are represented in the student convention.
- Green University Group (GHG)
- Colorful list
- LAF / Juso
- Ring Christian Democratic Students Regensburg e. V. (RCDS)
- Liberal University Group (LHG)
- The party
- Fips e. V. (Student Union Initiative for non-party students)
- Regensburg campus V.
- Enactus Regensburg e. V.
- AIESEC , Regensburg Local Committee of the international student organization
- (Community of Real Estate), student association of the International Real Estate Business School
- El§a e. V. - European Law Students' Association
- Evangelical student community
- Hochschul-SMD Regensburg ( student mission in Germany )
- International Students Network Regensburg e. V.
- intouchCONSULT e. V. - Student management consultancy; also for OTH students
- Young Europe e. V.
- Catholic university community
- Lautschrift , the student magazine of the University of Regensburg
- Student radio e. V.
- Studikino Regensburg e. V.
The university currently has around 320 university partnerships in Asia , Australia , Europe , North and South America , of which around 250 are in Europe. Since the opening of the program to the associated countries, the number of partner universities from the countries of Central and Eastern Europe, from Cyprus and the Baltic States has increased steadily; Over a third of the foreign students on the Regensburg campus come from Eastern and Southeastern Europe.
However, the preferred target countries for Regensburg students are still Great Britain, followed by France, Italy and Spain. US partner universities include a. the American University , Washington DC , the University of California, San Diego , the University of Colorado , Boulder and the Vanderbilt University , Nashville . There are several places available at two South American universities, the Universidad de los Andes , Mérida (Venezuela) , and the Universidad de Guanajuato , Mexico. At Kanazawa University , Japan and at Korea University , Seoul, Regensburg students have the opportunity to take part in a teaching program in English or, depending on their language skills, in the regular teaching program.
University for children
As part of the official children's lectures that take place in the summer semester, children between the ages of 8 and 13 also have the opportunity to attend the university. The five to six child-friendly lectures by professors from the University and the University of Regensburg are made possible by the sponsorship of Infineon .
- See: List of well-known personalities of the University of Regensburg and category: University professors (University of Regensburg)
- Official website
- AStA University of Regensburg
- Graduate School for East and Southeast European Studies
- “We have to be the first address” - Interview with University President Strohthotte. In: Süddeutsche Zeitung. June 2009.
- University of Regensburg (Ed.): A campus for Regensburg: Concept - Architecture - Art. 40 years University of Regensburg 1967–2007. Universitätsverlag Regensburg, Regensburg 2007, ISBN 978-3-930480-63-0 .
- Christoph Wagner (ed.): Art on campus. Universitätsverlag Regensburg, Regensburg 2009, ISBN 978-3-86845-030-9 .
- ↑ The seal of the university is used for official documents and should not be confused with the “logo” (see above).
- ^ President. Retrieved August 1, 2019 . , on uni-regensburg.de
- ↑ a b c d numbers data facts on uni-regensburg.de
- ↑ Network. List of universities in the DFH network. In: www.dfh-ufa.org. Franco-German University, accessed on October 7, 2019 .
- ↑ Member universities. In: web.gcompostela.org. Compostela Group of Universities, 2019, accessed on September 15, 2019 .
- ↑ New Year's Reception for the President 2020 , on uni-regensburg.de
- ↑ The physics research course
- ↑ On the development and structure of the University of Regensburg . In: Universität Regensburg (publisher): Course catalog of the University of Regensburg, winter semester 2009/10 . ( On the development and structure of the University of Regensburg ( Memento from January 23, 2010 in the Internet Archive ) [accessed on June 16, 2010]).
- ↑ Students occupy the Regensburg University , on Mittelbayerische.de
- ^ Regensburg: Lecture hall occupants vacate the university , on merkur-online.de of December 23, 2009, accessed on October 7, 2012
- ↑ Lecture hall occupation at the University of Regensburg continues in 2010 , on kanal8.de from December 23, 2009, accessed on October 7, 2012
- ^ Uni Regensburg: Occupiers leave administration , on Mittelbayerische.de
- ↑ With sleeping mats and sleeping bags: Students occupy the University of Regensburg , on merkur-online.de from November 17, 2011 (accessed October 8, 2012)
- ↑ “Comfortable here! We'll be back! ”The line-up ended for the time being , on regensburg-digital on March 17, 2011, accessed on October 8, 2012
- ↑ Refurbishment of the cafeteria ( Memento from March 21, 2009 in the Internet Archive )
- ↑ Lecture hall and disposal building for the university and the Institute for Real Estate Management ( Memento from July 1, 2010 in the Internet Archive )
- ^ "Space for students and congresses - Bavaria is building a new lecture hall and disposal building with the Vielberth Foundation" ( Memento from December 21, 2013 in the Internet Archive ) (PDF; 230 kB), in: Mittelbayerische Zeitung
- ↑ Philanthropy and Foundation , 1/2012, p. 9.
- ↑ University of Regensburg receives the "German University Building Award 2012" , on hochschulverband.de, accessed on July 13, 2020
- ↑ Federal Office for Building and Regional Planning: German Architecture Prize 2013
- ^ At the university: Attention construction site , report on Mittelbayerische.de from October 1, 2013
- ↑ Construction schedule for the renovation of the underground car park and the forum of the University of Regensburg
- ↑ "German Nobel Prize" for Prof. Dr. Rupert Huber , press release of March 14, 2019, on uni-regensburg.de
- ↑ Research projects and topics of the University of Regensburg , on uni-regensburg.de
- ↑ Quarks - Smallest Particles in View , press release from November 28, 2012, on uni-regensburg.de
- ↑ Priority Program SPP 1538 Spin Caloric Transport ( Memento from October 29, 2019 in the Internet Archive )
- ↑ About GRK 1910 , on grk1910
- ^ Neuroscience Graduate Program "Neurobiology of Emotion Dysfunctions" (GRK 2174) , on uni-regensburg.de
- ↑ Johannes Haider: Metropolität in der Vormoderne DFG-GRK 2337. Retrieved on October 21, 2018 .
- ↑ DFG - GEPRIS - Beyond the Canon: Heterotopias of Religious Authority in Late Antique Christianity. Retrieved on October 21, 2018 (German).
- ↑ Leibniz ScienceCampus “Europe and America in the Modern World” approved , press release of April 3, 2019, on uni-regensburg.de
- ↑ a b Forum Middle Ages. Retrieved October 21, 2018 .
- ^ Forum Middle Ages. Retrieved October 21, 2018 .
- ↑ Elite courses at the University of Regensburg
- ↑ Equal Opportunities & Diversity at the University of Regensburg , accessed on July 5, 2015
- ↑ female professors , at uni-regensburg.de, accessed on July 13, 2020
- ↑ University of Regensburg in first place in Germany , press release from June 24, 2019, on uni-regensburg.de
- ↑ QS World University Rankings® 2015/16 , on topuniversities.com
- ↑ Academic Ranking of World Universities 2015 , on shanghairanking.com
- ↑ World University Rankings 2018-19 , on cwur.org
- ↑ Handelsblatt BWL Ranking 2014 - the most research-intensive business administration faculties in Germany, Austria and Switzerland , on handelsblatt.com
- ↑ The RUL. Retrieved July 13, 2020 .
- ↑ Archived copy ( Memento from April 1, 2010 in the Internet Archive )
- ↑ See Mittelbayerische Zeitung of March 31, 2010, main article on p. 1.
- ↑ Source: Library Profile. Retrieved July 13, 2020 . , on bibliothek.uni-regensburg.de
- ↑ Music at the University , on uni-regensburg.de
- ↑ List of political university groups on uni-regensburg.de (as of January 8, 2018)
- ↑ Student Representative for Economics | Faculty of Economics. Retrieved May 11, 2019 .
- ↑ About us - Campus Regensburg e. V. Accessed April 19, 2019 .
- ↑ About us. Retrieved July 13, 2020 .
- ↑ General , on studikino.de
- ↑ Partner universities , on uni-regensburg.de
Coordinates: 48 ° 59 '53.2 " N , 12 ° 5' 42" E